You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have the following Text Effect in Photoshop PSD. 

2020-03-09_14-50-07-a363c93628dd1c5d77b0400b58c271a8.png

When I bring it into Affinity Photo here is what I get. Also I can't get the Smart object to work in Affinity Photo. I can send you the PSD file if you have an email that will take PSD's.

2020-03-09_14-51-56-2aaf2c5a9596ab7cfdc832bc0c567331.png

I have been using Photoshop since the Aldus days. Also taught it on the University level. I am trying to switch over to Affinity Photo as I don't like the monthly subscription model Adobe has recently adhered. My problem is getting my Text Styles over into Affinity. I have gotten several over already but am having trouble with some not coming over and need some help ideas. I will post png's here and can go further if any one wants to see the PSD and Affinity Photo files. First Style Comic-book-30. Second is how the same file comes shows in Affinity Photo. Comic_book-30.thumb.png.aedcf21ae5644d84e30a2b262ed790ba.pngComic_book-30-AP.thumb.png.4f1d1d14840dfd694bb8e02f2d8d2549.png

This one is called Gold-2 again first the Photoshop version:

Testing_Gold2.png.ea24af20e8696a19cce3a3c310549ff7.png

No the Affinity Photo version:

Testing_Gold2-AP.png.2e3cede4d907d21b78603dc40b38bce6.png

I did notice I forgot to mark to receive replies so you can send them to me @ macmikeal (at) mac (dot) com

Edited by macmikeal
So I can get replies and see what to do to fix

You will receive replies @macmikeal

So, you are wanting to create a gold style, do you have an example of what you want this gold to look like

555255064_ScreenShot2020-03-10at07_54_40.png.0cbb4118fd677dfaa2c578bc0b07b8b6.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@macmikeal, it would be much appreciated (& likely get you more helpful replies) if you put all your examples in one topic instead of a bunch of different ones.

To do this, just add a new reply to the first topic you created about this issue.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

So, you are wanting to create a gold style, do you have an example of what you want this gold to look like

From @macmikeal's other posts, they're simply trying to open PSD files and have the text styles survive and look as they did in the PSD file. They'd like it to look like the top example in this post.

And yes, all these should be in one topic. Perhaps a moderator will gather them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

From @macmikeal's other posts, they're simply trying to open PSD files and have the text styles survive and look as they did in the PSD file. They'd like it to look like the top example in this post.

And yes, all these should be in one topic. Perhaps a moderator will gather them.

I have merged them all into one now. I apologise if this thread now looks messy.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

The main reason for the failure would be the Pattern Overlay fx which Affinity doesn't have in it's fx arsenal yet.

717703186_ScreenShot2020-03-10at13_03_54.png.b2f8db55973220724517003328fea04e.png

You can add a Pattern as a fill or a child layer but not as part of an fx.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Maybe this will work here is the file Gold_Effect_1 compressed. Hope you see this. If you open in Photoshop you will notice there is a smart object that says click here for text. That will open another file you type your text you want save it and then close the file go back to Gold_Effect_1 and your text is in there. That will not work in Affinity Photo either.

Gold_Effect_1.PSD.zip

MEB - I just uploaded the Gold_Effect_1.psd through the Upload Link as well as the Affinity Photo styles I created from a lot of my styles I had made in Photoshop over the past 30 years. Anyway the problem in the styles is that the Font type and size come into the style as well. All I need are the effects independent of the font used and size. A lot of them are putting the font down to 12 point size. 

• Staff

Hi macmikeal,
Thanks for the file. There's a few reasons why this file isn't opening as in Photoshop: the smart objects contained in the 3D Effects folder (they all actually use the same embedded file) all have layer effects applied in Photoshop - these are the ones that build the "3d text" you see on screen - but are not being imported when you open the file in Affinity Photo. Likewise the "Your text here" smart object also uses that same embedded file but since the layer effects that build the 3d text were not imported you don't see anything on screen when you change the text on that layer either - thus it seems it's not working (I'm logging these issues).

Additionally some of the layer effects used there are also not supported (as stated earlier) - both the Pattern Overlay and Satin FX are used in the smart object 6 - which contribute considerably to the appearance of the text. I'm afraid there isn't much you can do until we improve these areas other than trying to use what's currently being imported and recreate the rest of the effect (or similar) using the tools/feature Affinity Photo provides.

Just uploaded some more made in Photoshop I have problems working in Affinity Photo. Might be the same issue you have pointed out before. Hope can get these to work. Hope we can eventually get that type of workflow to work in Affinity Photo sure saves a bunch of time.

• Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Smart objects: Layer Styles applied to Smart Objects in Photoshop are not imported in Affinity Photo) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.1/1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

Note: PSD Smart Objects are now optionally importable into the very latest Affinity Designer 1.8.x betas too.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon