You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tried updating Publisher to 1.8, received: "Set up Failed' notice, however now locked out of publisher

Tried updating Publisher to 1.8, received: "Set up Failed' notice, however now locked out of publisher. I am not a computer wizard, but I thought maybe I needed to update my Designer and Photo first, so I tried to update them as well....big mistake. Received the same message. Now I am locked out of all of them. My work is held hostage and I am on a deadline! Please, could someone help me?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Wendy2525.

What version of MacOS are you running, and did you purchase your Affinity applications from the Mac App Store or directly from Serif?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Did you try restarting the computer then then install again? This usually works on Windows to get the software installed after a failed install. It may work on a Mac as well.

What also works on Windows and might also work on Mac is instead of restarting is logging off/signing out of your computer account and then log on/sign in again, this is often a bit faster than a full restart. Then install the software again.

I never had this issue for quite a while when others did have the issue and then out of the blue it started on my computer as well. My guess is that something (from Affinity or the OS) is running in the background and locking access to some items in  the Affinity install folders as I noticed it happening after running an Affinity app and then running the downloaded updater when the app notified about an update. Installing several hours after downloading often works without issues but not always. Even though it is a relatively mild inconvenience in most cases, the Affinity apps are the only ones where this is consistently happening.

I have only seen something like this once...For me it the anti-virus software checking the downloaded files while I tried to install the software. Nowadays I tend to allow for a few minutes after download before clicking on install...
If the restart does not work...try uninstalling one of the apps. restart then install...

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

From what I can tell, they were completely erased from my computer. All that seems to be left are the shortcut files which do not work, and the unistall options on my start up menu. They are no longer in my apps. Why would that be?

Excellent!....:)...and it is!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

1 hour ago, Wendy2525 said:

I am installing on Windows...and I did purchase directly from Serif. I will try restarting my my computer.

Then you shouldn't have posted in a Mac forum :)

(In fact, you posted in Publisher Beta on Mac, and you're probably not installing the Beta version, either.)

In any case, glad to hear that you seem to have gotten it working.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.