You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hey outgettingsubs, welcome to the Affinity Forums :) 

I have fed this back to the developers in the past. The Histogram is given CPU power in the Develop Persona, however in the Photo Persona it isn't given any power from the CPU and can occasionally take a while to update. 

I will of course add your post to the original report I made in the hopes this may be improved one day. Thank you.

23 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey outgettingsubs, welcome to the Affinity Forums :) 

I have fed this back to the developers in the past. The Histogram is given CPU power in the Develop Persona, however in the Photo Persona it isn't given any power from the CPU and can occasionally take a while to update. 

I will of course add your post to the original report I made in the hopes this may be improved one day. Thank you.

Thanks Chris!

Yes, that's what I thought as itr sems to occur more often and obvious with large file sizes / big projects. Fingers crossed this gets fixed at some point. :)

6 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Have you seen it take longer than 30 seconds? There's an old post where some people are reporting minutes (if not longer) for the Histogram to update. Though recently they reported this as fixed. 

Yes, it can be more than 30 seconds as well. I just recorded a video tutorial yesterday and it suddenly happened again with at least a 30 sec delay.

One thing that is an indicator: When I merge or duplicate a layer and the thumbnail of the new Layer in the Layers tab stays gray, that's mostly when it starts to happen. If you open a Levels AL then, its thumbnail will stay gray as well, then the delay, then the thumbnails and histogram will appear.

I'm assuming that the thumbnails are bound to the same CPU process/problem.

I can upload the part from the video later when I'm back on the PC if that helps.

Alright, here we go. It took over a minute in this case (I certainly edited that part out of the final film, haha...).
There you can also see the coresponding bug with the greyed out thumbnails in the "Layers" tab.

Machine is:

• Intel i9 9900X 3.5GHz
  • 64 GB DDR4 RAM
  • Windows 10 Enterprise
  • Nvidia GTX2070 Super

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

Thanks for the video—that really doesn't look great, does it... 

Your're welcome. Yeah, it's a pain, especially as I'm using the Levels a lot during astro processing. I hope I can find more people with this problem and draw some attention towrds fixing it.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I am a Newbie to Affinity Photo, but have had years of amateur experience with Photoshop CS3.

I am experiencing the same or a similar problem with respect to the Levels histogram.

If I open a JPEG photo and create a Levels adjustment the all is well and the Levels histogram is presented and I can adjust the sliders to affect the whole image.

If I close that image and start over, i.e. I open the same JPEG photo but this time I make a selection of just that part of the image I want to adjust, when I invoke the Level adjustment the histogram is now blank.

I have waited 5 minutes to see if it is just being slow but still no histogram data. However if I ignore the blank histogram and move the Black Level slider then the part of the image selected changes correctly , i.e. the levels adjustment tool is working but there is no histogram data on which to base the adjustment!

Furthermore if I then use the History slider to return the image to the original state with no selection made and then invoke the Levels Adjustment tool again no histogram is displayed.

My System Spec is as follows:

Windows 10 Pro

Intel i5-4590 CPU @3.30ghZ

RAM 32 GB

64-bit OS

Regards Mike

• Staff

Hey MudMike88,

Thanks for your contribution.

Since I last posted in this thread, I've discovered a trigger for the Histogram dleay. If you have an active selection on the document, it can cause a huge delay in the Histogram loading.

That bit of info might not be relevant to you but it might be for anyone else who notices the delay in general use.

On 3/12/2020 at 1:57 AM, outgettingsubs said:

Your're welcome. Yeah, it's a pain, especially as I'm using the Levels a lot during astro processing. I hope I can find more people with this problem and draw some attention towrds fixing it.

This question is very important to me and I will pay attention to it.

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

35 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey MudMike88,

Thanks for your contribution.

Since I last posted in this thread, I've discovered a trigger for the Histogram dleay. If you have an active selection on the document, it can cause a huge delay in the Histogram loading.

That bit of info might not be relevant to you but it might be for anyone else who notices the delay in general use.

Thanks for your speedy response!

Just to be clear, once I have made a selection, even if I do nothing with it other than deselect it (Ctrl-D), when I then open the Level Adjustment tool there is no histogram information.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 7/10/2020 at 11:28 PM, Mud Mike said:

Thanks for your speedy response!

Just to be clear, once I have made a selection, even if I do nothing with it other than deselect it (Ctrl-D), when I then open the Level Adjustment tool there is no histogram information.

I'm seeing this too. After using the selection tool, the histogram often disappears from levels and curves.

It happens commonly for me on large files (e.g. TIFF images out of DeepSkyStacker).

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm having the same issue. Version 1.10.5.1342. I timed one delay this evening of over 5 minutes - probably the worst yet. No selection made, only two layers in the document, which is only 4 megapixels. the layer I was adjusting did have a couple of other live adjustment layers on it as child layers, so that might make a difference. I have found when this happens that saving the afphoto document can kick the delay and get things going again.

Maybe related afp-5205 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

This seems to have been an issue for a long time. I've run into it several times today whilst editing astro photos, and it's driving me potty...... I totally rely on histograms at various stages of the editing process, and this is just not reliable. Moderators - is this actively being looked at? Or is it in the too hard basket? I love so much about Affinity, but this issue is close to sending me back to Gimp.