You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shortcut: Quickly switch from Text tool to Move tool

I have transitioned to Affinity from Adobe. And one small thing that does not go smooth is quickly switching between Text tool to Move tool (pointer) through the shortcut. Since I have to do this very frequently I decided to ask simply: What's the best way?

In InDesign I simply clicked on the corner of the text tool to mark it or outside the text frame, and then used the shortcut. This is not working in Affinity, as it constantly creates new text frames when clicking. 

Same problem when being inside a text frame, and I want to mark several layers. The issue is really getting out of the text frame mode quickly, and here I cannot click in the corner of the text frame to mark it, and being able to mark other layers.

I'm using Affinity Publisher for Mac.

Esc will get you out of text editing mode, and V would then get you the Move Tool.

But if what you want to move is the frame you're working on, just move the mouse cursor over the edge of the frame and it will change to a move cursor. Then move the frame, and move the mouse cursor back into the frame to keep editing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On a Mac ... I use a Keyboard Shortcut App called "Keyboard Maestro" to perform <Cmd> D + V with the Esc key as the trigger to change from the text tool to the pointer tool (this shortcut actually works from any tool you're using to the pointer tool). Works perfect. This app can be configured to perform keyboard shortcuts for any specific app, group of apps, or globally. Absolutely couldn't live without it. Anything I do that is repetitive gets automated through this app ... plus, if I am migrating from one app to another similar app, (InDesign to AP for example) I apply the keyboard shortcuts from App 1 (or create new ones) to App 2 and I am in business instantly. Brilliant piece of software. (not affiliated btw). This particular shortcut mentioned above was the first one I had to make in AP to mimic what was happening in InDesign.. 

Edited by Beacher

20 hours ago, Lagarto said:

I use Ctrl + D (Cmd + D) for Deselect and then V to go out ot text box and then use move tool (if I understood what you tried to achieve). I am not sure, though, if "Deselect" (Ctrl + D) requires a manual keyboard shortcut or if it is a factory default.

The same technique is highly useful also when drawing multiple separate line/curve segments. 

This works. Thank you! 

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm using the Affinity 2 Suite on the Mac and love it, except for this issue.
I design logos, and frequently switch from the text tool to the move tool.
In PowerPoint and Keynote, if you're editing text and want to move an object nearby, it changes automatically to the move tool.
In Quark and Indesign, a modifier key like Command will select the move tool temporarily. 

I spend 33% of my time deleting the letter V from text boxes or doing the "ESC ESC V" finger dance, which doesn't always work. 
Does anyone have a better idea? 

• 3 months later...
On 4/27/2023 at 6:39 AM, foxtrotgolf said:

Does anyone have a better idea? 

Maybe this will help. Yes, I too, found myself typing vvvvv's too often. When the cursor is blinking in a text box it has to assume you want text. That includes shorcut keys. One has to "release the blinking cursor" before hitting shortcuts.  Hitting esc esc then V works, but is cumbersome. Clicking outside of text frame works, but sometimes inadvertently creates tiny text boxes. Hovering over text frame works and temporarily  brings up move tool also, but only on that text frame. 

Try this: I reassigned the move and (text frame/table/artistic) shortcuts to non-alphabetic keyboard keys F2 and F3, respectively. This allows toggle functions as normal. Back and forth from move to text works nicely. No more vvvv's. Even if you forget the cursor is blinking. This is speedy and one-handed. Occasionally, one still has to reset blinking cursor insertion point in your text frame area of choice with mouse, so aPUB knows what/where you want to type. This is to be expected. Setting text tool from T to F3 is not necessary, but I like to hit shortcuts without looking at keyboard.

Try it you'll like it. Give me some feedback if this works for you.

Also, if you find yourself with wrong text tool often, then I would use shift modifier key setting in Settings box. I mainly use text frame tool so I use shift modifier to cycle text tools and other cycle tools.

One can always take their mouse for a walk, back and forth from toolbar to text frame or wherever,  naaaah. Ha