You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo has stopped saving directly back into Mac OS Photos

Uwe T

On 3/19/2020 at 9:31 AM, MEB said:

Hi @Uwe T@rhmb, @fatihayoglu,
Have you bought Affinity Photo from the Affinity Store of from the Mac App Store?

Purchased from Affinity Store in October 2019. Initially used with Mojave, then with Catalina. If memory serves me well, I did not have any issues with Mojave but I upgraded to Catalina soon after. 

On 3/19/2020 at 6:25 AM, Cecil said:

If I open Apple Photos, after saving the edits, the changes are presented in a duplicate or another picture of the Save photo.  A simple test:  double click any Apple Photo, click Edit In AP, add simple text. Click File, Save, Close AP, click outside as I mention in my post, click Save Change, it will then be highlighted, click Save and Click Done. Now go to Apple Photos.  The original, plus photo with the photo you added text should be in the Apple Photos folder.

Not sure I follow you on this one. My edit and save process is pretty much as you described above and in the screen recording. After saving the changes in Apple Photos, all I have is the edited image as per the Edit in AP process. There are no duplicates unless I created one in Apple Photos. Nor is there a copy of the original (although I could make one by creating a duplicate and reverting if I wished). 

The issue with saved edits in AP for me, at least, is as follows. If I re-open the previously AP edited image in Edit in AP, without doing any in between edits using the Apple Photo edit functions, Edit in AP opens the photo as the original, with none of the previous edits showing. This is also happening with Affinity Develop. 

On the other hand, if I make even a small edit in Apple Photos before attempting to Edit in AP again, AP will show the image with the previous edits when I open it in Edit in AP

It is all becoming a bit moot in my situation as I have adopted another app to meet my post-LR day to day editing and DAM requirements instead of Apple Photos. AP integrates very well with this other app (much as Photoshop did with LR), and I mostly now use Apple Photos for viewing and sharing jpgs and a few other things. That said, I do recognize that for those who use Apple as their main DAM, it would be good to see these issues fixed and I also do understand and appreciate that the AP folks are working on it. 

When I open a Save photo from Apple Photos in AP, the edits I save are opened.  Sorry this is the total sum of info I can provide.  I do wish Serif would provide tutorial of expectations, processes of programs design elements.  Too many treads posting similar problems.  It may just be our expectation is greater than AP design,  .It looks like you have.a workaround that works.  As I recall your original post was that you could not Save edits.  My video clearly shows that I was able to edit and Save edits to Apple Photos. 

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

17 hours ago, Cecil said:

click under it on blank screen, not on the menu button. That should make it highlights to Save Changes.

Strange things happened. If I do so, it is highlighted but pressing the" Save Changes "the error message appears. Then I noticed that you started with Photos , not with Albums like me. So I took just a picture from Photos and it worked well. Then I took the the matchbox picture from Photos and it fails. I tried for a while, that´s the result : ever photo imported between February 2020 and March, 7. the edit starting in Photos or Albums is o.k. All other imported photos, earlier or later, the edit fails.

2 minutes ago, Cecil said:

When I open a Save photo from Apple Photos in AP, the edits I save are opened

Some times yes, some times no. I guess, it depends on the  version of AP and the macOS or combination of both.

I hope Serif moderator will comment on this tread or anyone that has info that assist.  I guess, it is, what it is, in 1.8.2.  No comments in future updates addressing this problem or problems.  At this point, I am confused to the point that Serif may not see this as a problem.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

• 2 months later...

Having read some of the comments, it appears that problems with Save interface between Affinity Photo and Apple Photos are common. My new problem is to me more serious and I think ultimately connected to the aforementioned.

Having made a number of attempts to transfer saved images back to Photos, and having decided to cease my attempts at direct transfer, I was suddenly faced with the message 'No available windows' when accessing Affinity. My problem is simply, how do I get rid of the ones obviously held by Affinity in order to 'free up space?

I like others am using Catalina with a fully updated Affinity program.

Thank you 

Roger

This is a rotten potato smell which has intensified for the past 18 months.  No progress, no response from Serif of fix and increasing dissatisfied customers.  One can easily search for notice numerous post and threads concerning this problem.  I hate to be negative but facts are facts and in this case, truth,

Cecil 

• 1 month later...

Like many others I'm experiencing extension crashes when I edit from within Apple Photos.  The problem seems to be with originals. If you first make a minor edit using Photos the extension doesn't crash on the save operation. Almost seems as though Apple's extension API is passing a ref to the original instead of passing a copy to edit (thus preserving non-destructiveness). This is very repeatable.  If you want a console log let me know.

11 hours ago, rpomeroy said:

The problem seems to be with originals. If you first make a minor edit using Photos the extension doesn't crash on the save operation. Almost seems as though Apple's extension API is passing a ref to the original instead of passing a copy to edit (thus preserving non-destructiveness). This is very repeatable.

I have not noticed this with original previously unedited photos but I have seen a similar issue when photos edited by Edit in Affinity are subsequently re-edited in Edit in Affinity without any intermediate edits by another app. When opened in the Edit in Affinity extension, it reverts to the original without any of the previous edits. On the other hand, if you do a minor edit with Apple Photos after saving your initial Affinity edits, and then re-open in Edit in Affinity, the prior Affinity edits are there. 

The "baking" in of edits if one uses more than one app to edit a photo in Apple photos is explained in an online article by Nik Batt (formerly with Apple Aperture and now with his own project, Raw Power): The Ins and Outs of Non-Destructive Editing in Photos for Mac and IOS - TidBITS. 

Unfortunately none of this really solves the problem of these long standing bugs with Affinity within Apple Photos. 

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I too am experiencing non saving to Photos. The edits in Affinity do not show up in the Photos window. No matter how I try to save or close, Nothing is transferred.

I have Affinity 1.9.3 on  MacBook Pro running OS 11.3.1.

It worked before Big Sur!!

PB