You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo has stopped saving directly back into Mac OS Photos

Uwe T

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Uwe T,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
How are you sending the images from Apple Photos to Affinity Photo and save back? Are you using the Edit in Affinity Photo extension?

Yes, i´m using the the Edit Affinity Photo Extension.

Uwe

Hi,

I always have JPG, I never use RAW files.

When I have finished editing in AF, I press the save button. If I do a lot of editing, usually it lasts half or an second to store and a bar is running until it's saved. Now nothing happens. Then I press the close button and then the yellow button in the left corner to put AF to the tool bar. Now Photos appears and I press the button " save the edited photo" . Now a message pops up " Bearbeitung mit Edit Affinity Photo ist fehlgeschlagen. Ein unerwarteter Fehler ist aufgetreten. " Meaning: "Editing with AF crashed. An unexpected error happened. "

It's just the same as with AF 1.7. witch is reported here in the forum. I had the same problem with AF1.7 and Catalina. So I waited for AF 1.8. After the update to 1.8 and 1.8.1 everything was fine until yesterday.

Uwe

11 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Uwe T,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
How are you sending the images from Apple Photos to Affinity Photo and save back? Are you using the Edit in Affinity Photo extension?

This has also been raised as an issue in Affinity Photo-Apple Photos thread but strangely does not seem to have attracted any feedback or apparent interest from AP other than one question early in the thread. 

13 hours ago, rhmb said:

This has also been raised as an issue in Affinity Photo-Apple Photos thread but strangely does not seem to have attracted any feedback or apparent interest from AP other than one question early in the thread

Thank you for your answer. If I understand right, you had the problem from the begin of AF1.8. I wonder why between my update to AF 1.8 on February 27. until March 7. AF1.8 and 1.8.1 was working fine. What happened on March 8. ?

Uwe

To add on that: I am currently experiencing the same bug with AP 1.8.1:

The new version works perfectly with RAW-images now, but with JPEGs (using the "Edit in"-method) it shows this error-message when saving back to Apple Photos: "Editing with "Edit in Affinity Photos" failed. An unexpected error occurred." [screenshot in German language]

I wonder whether this might be a problem with the German localization? Sorry, that's only a theory without any programming-background. It's just because so many users have stated that the Apple-Photos-bug was completely resolved for them and "JPEGs" and "German version of AP" is the only connection I see between Uwe (post above) and me.

Bug Affinity.png

23 minutes ago, Fotoquant said:

To add on that: I am currently experiencing the same bug with AP 1.8.1:

The new version works perfectly with RAW-images now, but with JPEGs (using the "Edit in"-method) it shows this error-message when saving back to Apple Photos: "Editing with "Edit in Affinity Photos" failed. An unexpected error occurred." [screenshot in German language]

I wonder whether this might be a problem with the German localization? Sorry, that's only a theory without any programming-background. It's just because so many users have stated that the Apple-Photos-bug was completely resolved for them and "JPEGs" and "German version of AP" is the only connection I see between Uwe (post above) and me.

Bug Affinity.png

I, and several others, are on record in this and several other threads in noting concerns on this longstanding bug so I think it's fair to assume it is not constrained to the German version alone. Unfortunately it is difficult to know if the AP dev team are still trying to fix this or if it's been relegated to the back burner assuming its "fixed for most" as for the most part they have remained apart from the discussion. A relatively easy temporary fix can be obtained by installing the very inexpensive if somewhat dated External Editors extension. I have no personal interest in this app, but I can say that it works. There are other work arounds but the External Editors is the least painful fix. 

A couple of us have also noted that the Affinity Develop extension for Apple Photos does not work for RAW but as far as I am aware, there has yet to be even the slightest acknowledgement of this by AP

I just made the update to AP 1.8.2.

The bug still exists.

But there is a possibility to avoid it. If I edit a JPG and want to save it back to Apple Photos, it still fails. When I edit the same JPG and as the last step I switch to Develop Persona and do a little change, for example make the photo i little lighter then I can store and save it as usual.

Uwe

I found that if I click Save, closed AP, and on Apple Photos Window don’t click Save (should be grayed out) click under Save box black area, Save will turn from gray to Blue and then click Save.  I was successful several photos today.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

23 hours ago, Cecil said:

I found that if I click Save, closed AP, and on Apple Photos Window don’t click Save (should be grayed out) click under Save box black area, Save will turn from gray to Blue and then click Save.  I was successful several photos today.  

If you immediately re-open the edited photo in the Edit in AP extension, without having done any edits with Apple Photos, does it open with the edits or in the original unedited image? The only way I have been able to re-open in Edit in AP to do any further editing is to first bake the edit in by doing a minor edit with Apple Photos before re-opening in Edit AP.  

If I open Apple Photos, after saving the edits, the changes are presented in a duplicate or another picture of the Save photo.  A simple test:  double click any Apple Photo, click Edit In AP, add simple text. Click File, Save, Close AP, click outside as I mention in my post, click Save Change, it will then be highlighted, click Save and Click Done. Now go to Apple Photos.  The original, plus photo with the photo you added text should be in the Apple Photos folder.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Have you bought Affinity Photo from the Affinity Store of from the Mac App Store?

I bought it from the Mac App Store in 2016. It was AP1.4. Since then, I made every update of AP when it appears.

Uwe

41 minutes ago, Uwe T said:

I bought it from the Mac App Store in 2016. It was AP1.4. Since then, I made every update of AP when it appears.

Uwe

Could you make a screen video of your work flow starting with Apple Photos to the last step.  It may help to identify the problem.

Cecil 

2 hours ago, Uwe T said:

I´m not familiar with this. Can you explain me how to do it?

No worries Uwe T 🙂
If you don’t have a dedicated screen recording app installed, you can use the built in macOS features to do a basic recording.
Apple's Support page on screen recording and taking screenshots can be found here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh26782/mac

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Look's like you followed what I suggested until the last step and I think most critical action.  After you close Affinity Photo, don't click Save on Apple window.  Click underneath the menu button, and the button should change to blue "Save" and then click Save.

It work's for me, I can only hope it'll will work for you.

Cecil 

Bad information on my part, it doesn't change to Blue; however, the menu on my system is highlighted in white, Save Changes. I would do a screen recording; however, I have photos that I don't have permission to share and cannot reduce the size to demonstrates the process.  I will demonstrate the finial process I think may help.  I think your first click is on the menu button, click under it on blank screen, not on the menu button. That should make it highlights to Save Changes.

Cecil