You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I go back to previous version

Since updating to 1.8 many of the brushes have disappeared including the paint brushes I use most often. This has happened with previous updates and I don't know why you insist on removing brushes. Is it possible to go back to the previous version?  I also need to know if the paint brushes have also been removed from Affinity Designer before I update it.

• Staff

Hi RosieH,

I've uploaded the legacy brushes to this Dropbox folder. This includes Photo raster brushes as well as Designer raster and vector brushes:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pbuwnln18s81vd8/AACDmy9p7qIFj57tZmqvOH6aa?dl=0

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Hi, I just tried to go back to previous version, because of these bugs:

Sadly I figured out, that I cannot load my files I need to work with, which I saved in the 1.8. version. I undestand that it makes sense, but is there any way to bypass it?

The two bugs above are giving me a lot of frustration + Windows ink influencing my express menu behavior (which may be on Wacom, but it wasn´t an issue in the previous version of Affinity), so I would like to switch back until it is resolved.

• Staff

Hello Sygnia, 

It is not possible to open 1.8 files in 1.7 as there could be features that 1.7 doesn't understand and could break the document. 

I have been unable to reproduce the freezing issue and I have tried it countless times in the past week.

As Affinity is now a Windows Ink app, it needs to be enabled for many features to function. I checked Microsoft Whiteboard that is also a Windows Ink enabled app and that suffers from the same express menu issue. I think this is something Wacom seriously need to look at addressing. 

Thank you for looking into it, Chris.

I found a way around - not very convenient, but it is okay if there is no text and layer blending. I did save files to PSD, which can be opened in the previous version of Affinity.

I understand that Affinity team is not responsible for a bug on wacom´s side, but in the end, for me as an user the previous version allows me to work more smoothly. So I will rollback for now and contact Wacom´s forums in hope that they can fix the issue. I would like to help with the freezing issue, but I also wasn´t able to notice, how to reproduce it. 

But I only have observed this - in 1.7.3 (or 1.7.+) when the focus problem with brush tool accured, it also froze the transformation tool. In 1.8. the tranformation freeze seems to occur independently on the brush tool problem, and also when I am staying within the app, without changing focus. It happened to me very often when I was adding photos to the scene, or copying existing layers and working with them, I would say that even as often as every 2-5 minutes. Although there probably is some pattern, it just seem to happen on random and I do not know what the steps to reproduce it could be.

• Staff

Hey, we have decided to add Windows Ink as a toggle option. This will be available in Preferences > Tools (I believe—haven't seen the beta build myself yet) so please keep an eye out for the next 1.8 Windows beta.

Thank you very much for this!

But I need to ask, will turning it off also turn off pen pressure, or does it mean that it will just work the same way as in 1.7.3.? (pen pressure works, but it doesn´t cause problem with jumping express menu and lag on sliders etc)

On 3/9/2020 at 11:45 AM, Chris B said:

Hi RosieH,

I've uploaded the legacy brushes to this Dropbox folder. This includes Photo raster brushes as well as Designer raster and vector brushes:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pbuwnln18s81vd8/AACDmy9p7qIFj57tZmqvOH6aa?dl=0

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Thank you.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection