You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Option for »Text as Curves« restricted to linked resources only

Hey folks!

Here's the case: I am currently working on a logo in Affinity Designer. It is the second iteration and I would like to present him the first vectorized draft of the logo
in an appealing layout and with written documentation. I have created the layout in Affinity Publisher and linked the Affinity Designer file in it, so that any changes
to the logo are directly reflected in the Publisher document.

Thereby I encounter the following problem/s:

The Designer file contains text that uses a licensed font that should remain editable until the final version of the logo – but in the Designer file ONLY.

1. If I now export the Publisher document as a PDF for web to keep hyperlinks to references and good readability for example,
    the text of the linked logo gets exported editable/selectable via Adobe Acrobat – which I don't want at all!
  2. If I export the document as flattened and all elements are rasterized, it becomes (even if only slightly) blurred and consequently
    pixelated – which I don't want either.

A possible solution for a feature could be the option to convert any text ONLY in linked/embedded files instead of converting all text to curves during export.

I'd be happy to learn if there's another, more convenient way to do this, since it's a bite impractical while the logo's not final. 😀

However, I' m not quite sure if I described the problem in an easy to understand way. 😅

Greetings
MrDoodlezz

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

It seems like a reasonable rquest, Dennis.

But for now you may need to Export the Designer document with the logo as a PDF, with the fonts converted to curves, and Link the PDF from the Publisher document. If changes are needed, then update the logo Designer document, and re-export as PDF, and the Publisher document will pick up that change.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Maybe you could create a version within your AD file where all text is converted to curves? Then hide the original. Then you spare the extra step of exporting to PDF as Walt suggested.
You could keep these seperate in two folder layers. One contains the original design, the other contains the vector only version. This should not be too much of organisation.

I assume hidden layers will not get exported from APub.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It seems like a reasonable rquest, Dennis.

But for now you may need to Export the Designer document with the logo as a PDF, with the fonts converted to curves, and Link the PDF from the Publisher document. If changes are needed, then update the logo Designer document, and re-export as PDF, and the Publisher document will pick up that change.

Thanks for your vote and the advice, Walt. 😉

That's exactly the way I'm working right now – thus hitting the next little rock in the road,
since I like collecting all resources. Well, with one file it's completely doable, but still not
as convenient – especially if you'd like to make use of that nifty new feature you
waited so long for. 😁

1 hour ago, dominik said:

Maybe you could create a version within your AD file where all text is converted to curves? Then hide the original. Then you spare the extra step of exporting to PDF as Walt suggested.
You could keep these seperate in two folder layers. One contains the original design, the other contains the vector only version. This should not be too much of organisation.

I assume hidden layers will not get exported from APub.

d.

Hmmm, yes, that could actually work. Haven't thought of that. I mean … it's an extra step as well, but at least I'm staying true to managing a single file for the logo. 🤷‍♂️

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png