You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Black and white dropper in levels tool

The functionality of setting the black and white points is there, in a different way. The eyedroppers would be nice, but the alternate way may be more accurate?

If you hold the Alt key while you drag the black slider, the image will start out black. As soon as anything starts appearing you've located the black point. Similar processing is done with the white slider to find the white point. Hold Alt, and the image starts out white as you drag the slider. When something appears you've found the white point.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The functionality of setting the black and white points is there, in a different way. The eyedroppers would be nice, but the alternate way may be more accurate?

If you hold the Alt key while you drag the black slider, the image will start out black. As soon as anything starts appearing you've located the black point. Similar processing is done with the white slider to find the white point. Hold Alt, and the image starts out white as you drag the slider. When something appears you've found the white point.

Walt, it would be a plus to be beyond this feature, we could count on the dropper and the automatic adjustment

10 minutes ago, marciomendonsa said:

Walt, it would be a plus to be beyond this feature, we could count on the dropper and the automatic adjustment

I agree that the droppers would be nice, but the current implementation may be more accurate as it will show the brightest/darkest spots, which might not be where you thought they were. It also illustrates what you're going to lose, which you can't see by simply using the eyedroppers.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi Walt and tks for your answer, I asked for a similar feature about 2 years ago as I need not 2 but 3 droppers (white, grey and black) to easily correct color cast on scanned positive films;  your suggestion is welcome and useful (I didn't know this method) and I think it could be a good workaround for marciomendonsa; anyway it would be very useful having the 3 eyedroppers under level adj.  This is my old request: 

10 minutes ago, marciomendonsa said:

Complementing the request, there is a request for "automatic adjustment".

Already available?
image.png.331372a646575622d9ddd9edb37d5bc4.png

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Already available?
image.png.331372a646575622d9ddd9edb37d5bc4.png

Thanks, Walt. but it would still be interesting to also have that option but its own tool.

18 hours ago, walt.farrell said: