You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem Opening DNG files in Affinity Photo 1.8.1

Hi Dear,

Affinity Photo 1.8.1 can not open my DNG file correctly. There is only black image under Mac 10.15.3 Apple (Core Image RAW) engine. Then I changed raw engine to Serif Labs, the image view shown as attached.

I attached my original DNG file here. Would you please help me :)

BTW: This file can be open correctly with Affinity Photo 1.6. 

Thanks,

Lichuan

截屏2020-03-0813.12.10.png

Darktable and Rawtherapee (both are free apps) open the file like this...
1805160943_ScreenShot2020-03-08at08_24_54.png.7a4685ca3ea5848839c2b54be69cfe12.png

On1 Raw will not even entertain opening it and Photoshop doesn't recognise the file format but this might be a corrupted upload, does opening this file look the same as the screenshot if you open it with the mentioned apps on your system?

Apple Preview just displays a black screen.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hello

it looks like the development process of the RAW data is not finished.

This is also the case for me in version 1.8.

Have tried it once in other programs.

- Gimp does not open the file at all because the necessary development module is missing.

- Photoshop Elements only opens the file in black and white.

- Corel opens and develops the data normally (see screenshots)

Development process of the photo:

image.png.82dbc9eeaa2a5228e6c6f397b7b07294.png

Developed photo:

image.png.3636b792dd5c23276c6fe45e65c1fe0f.png

Kind regards

Georg

15 hours ago, 立川同学 said:

Affinity Photo 1.8.1 can not open my DNG file correctly. There is only black image under Mac 10.15.3 Apple (Core Image RAW) engine. Then I changed raw engine to Serif Labs, the image view shown as attached.

Thanks,

Lichuan

Hello Lichuan

I can open it without trouble in Adobe Photoshop CC 2020. I see it as B/W because of the image settings in the image. My guess is that the camera itself or another program saved the DNG with BW settings? So if you see it as a black and white photo on a Mac is not an error. It is how image settings was saved with the image file.

The file size also suggests this; resetting image settings (back to the original colour image) and saving it from Photoshop as DNG cuts the size down to 58MB from 143MB.

However, whatever I do, Photo 1.8 cannot open it. I even saved it with compatibility settings (with Camera Raw 4!) and still same problem. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

35 minutes ago, Jowday said:

I can open it without trouble in Adobe Photoshop CC 2020. I see it as B/W because of the image settings in the image. My guess is that the camera itself or another program saved the DNG with BW settings? So if you see it as a black and white photo on a Mac is not an error. It is how image settings was saved with the image file.

It opens in color in Corel PhotoPaint (as shown above by Schorsch) and in Capture One and in darktable on my system.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

It opens in color in Corel PhotoPaint (as shown above by Schorsch) and in Capture One and in darktable on my system.

Probably because they read the original RAW data and ignore the BW file also stored in the file.

Same as with Nikon NEF files edited in Capture NX2 . When RAW conversions were saved to the NEF file there would be RAW data and the edits from Capture NX2 in the updated NEF. Other RAW converters would read the RAW data and not support/see the edits also present in the file.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Also having problems opening DNG. Getting results similar to top post: jumbled lines.

Files were created by PixelShift2DNG, they are 9568 x 6376 pixels, 61 MP in size. Perhaps too big for AP to handle?

Affinity techies, please help.

• 6 months later...

Hi, 

I have similar problem: I used to work with dng photos shot by my Sigma sdq H using LightRoom.  As I bought the Affinity Photo, I thought about stopping the subscription of the Adobe Photoshop suite including LR.  And a couple weeks ago, when the subscription of Adobe was about to renew, I decided to stop it.  The problem started from then on (puzzled?) all the processed Sigma sdq H DNG files' thumbnails turn to black, and when opened each one member's Lichuen attached photos at the top, could not open probably.  I asked my son, who uses PC and he was able to open it with Capture One.  I can still open it using Adobe Camera Raw.  So, I wonder if it is my iMac problem showing all the thumbnails black and / or the Affinity Photo got no "power" to open such processed dng photos?  

Insight of such problem is appreciated.

Best regards.

Eric

• 3 months later...
On 3/8/2020 at 7:19 AM, 立川同学 said:

Hi Dear,

BTW: This file can be open correctly with Affinity Photo 1.6. 

Thanks,

Lichuan

截屏2020-03-0813.12.10.png

I have the same problem, I was able to open DNG from Sony A7R IV4 camera - pixelshift. I did DNG using PixelShift2DNG but had to save as uncompressed.

Happy New Year

• 2 months later...