You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey All-

I have Affinity Designer and Photo, purchased via the Apple App Store, and the 1.8 update does not show up in the app store. I've tried signing out of the app store, and restarting my mac. What am I missing? This happened with the last update but signing out & in again fixed the problem. Not this time.

EDIT- I'm running OS X 10.11.6

6 hours ago, magicmarker said:

Hey All-

I have Affinity Designer and Photo, purchased via the Apple App Store, and the 1.8 update does not show up in the app store. I've tried signing out of the app store, and restarting my mac. What am I missing? This happened with the last update but signing out & in again fixed the problem. Not this time.

EDIT- I'm running OS X 10.11.6

Some users have reported that going to the Purchased tab in the Store lets them get the update.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm also having problems upgrading to the 1.8.1 versions on the Mac App store. I have version 1.7.2 of Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer, and I'm on a 2012 macbook pro running 10.12.6.

If I go to the updates tab, the App store doesn't list either of these apps as having new versions that can be updated. Things are supposed to show up there within 72 hours - it's been a week and a half.

If I go to the purchases tab, the App store recognizes that I purchased Photo and Designer, but instead of offering to let me update them it only asks if I want to open my current versions.

If I go to the Top Charts tab and find these apps, the App store lists the Apps AND gives me a button to press to Update to the latest version, but when I press that button I just get a wheel that spins forever, and no download. The same thing happens when I do this for Affinity Photo or Designer.

I'd like to download these if it's possible. Or if there's a way to transition these purchases out of the AppStore, so that I can download these directly from Affinity from now on, that would be ideal! I had no troubles at all in upgrading Affinity Publisher, which I had fortunately bought directly.

I had to use CMD+R (the reload page shortcut) on the Updates page to get the new versions to show up, but there seems to be no one method that works for everyone.

I have no way of proving this but I suspect that Apple's servers are giving a higher priority to other things than requests for Mac App Store updates, & possibly also a higher priority to requests coming from users running more recent macOS versions than older ones.\

I also suspect this is because they are trying to make sure their newish services like Apple TV+, Arcade, & so on get all the bandwidth they need from the servers.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, Danby said:

Or if there's a way to transition these purchases out of the AppStore, so that I can download these directly from Affinity from now on, that would be ideal!

There is no way to do that, without you purchasing them again directly from Serif.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There is no way to do that, without you purchasing them again directly from Serif.

Thanks for clarifying what can and can't be done. I've made a mental note to buy directly in the future, whenever possible. I like to avoid frustrations and headaches whenever I can!

As an update to my query, for reasons I do not understand I'm now getting a different response from the App store. Photo and Designer are still not showing under my updates tab, but under the purchased tab or if I search out and bring up these particular apps they now show "install" buttons rather than "update", and pressing the button actually works now. I've no idea why this worked today when it didn't work yesterday, but at least I was able to download the updates.