You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Regression] Performance regression in beta 1.8.1.604 (corner tool)

Using the corner tool on all corners in the attached file results in lag and a significant performance reduction compared to Designer 1.8.0 release version.

1.8.1.604 Windows 10 Enterprise

corner tool performance.afdesign

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

@hashms0a

corner.afdesign

Four corners is not much :) Try this one. And possibly with far more corners.

This is observed on an older but not old enterprise office laptop with no dedicated GFX card. Besides this observation of lag other operations run quite smoothly.

Performance config is the same in release and beta. Changing any setting there did not improve performance in the beta.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

With my computer (specs on my signature), I'd say it is about the same (no that noticeable) lag between 1.8.0.585 and 1.8.1.604.

Best regards!

• Staff

Hi Jowday,

I've tried both your files and I'm not seeing any slowdown between 1.8.0 and 1.8.1. I've used both my onboard (Intel UHD630) and also discreet NVIDIA 1080 gpu and both results were about the same. The only thing I did notice was that the file in your first post was a bit slower/clunkier than the second.

Are you able to get any screen recordings that show the slowness between the two versions?

18 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Jowday,

I've tried both your files and I'm not seeing any slowdown between 1.8.0 and 1.8.1. I've used both my onboard (Intel UHD630) and also discreet NVIDIA 1080 gpu and both results were about the same. The only thing I did notice was that the file in your first post was a bit slower/clunkier than the second.

Are you able to get any screen recordings that show the slowness between the two versions?

Hi @Sean P

This shows the difference. Orange is beta 610. Other is 1.8.0 release. Recorded from a full screen view ('Toggle UI', tab key) in both. Settings should be identical. Except for installed brushes of course. 

corner.gif.e37200e6d12a2591215a083d0fdf1fec.gif

I agree with @Jowday that performance has taken a hit in the betas.

The performance of the Corner Tool is also affected by the visibility of the Rulers.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

The performance hit is - as can be seen - significant.

Screen recording was recorded without rulers shown, @Sean P just to clarify my report. 🙂

On 3/11/2020 at 5:11 PM, Sean P said:

Hi Jowday,

Hi @Sean P

This was fixed in .611 and thus also in the release version. Thanks!

Also for you? @Aammppaa 🙂

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.