Merlin

[FIXED] Publisher 1.8 - Can't open saved file in Windows 10

I have a 200Mb Publisher file which I last saved yesterday (6 March 2020). I returned to it today but the file won't open. What happens is I open Publisher without any trouble. I go to file/open recent... and select my file. Top right says 'loading 1 document...' Then Publisher closes without warning. I tried rebooting my PC but that didn't help.

Does anyone have any ideas. Should i repair Publisher 1.8, or unload it? I'm very concerned because it is several weeks work. Many thanks.

You can look in the autosave folder, copy the latest files from there hoping one of them is your file from yesterday.

You can access this folder entering %appdada% in the adress bar, and it should look like this:

C:\Users\_username_\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\autosave
C:\Users\_username_\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\autosave

It should be turned on, in the settings > performances tab

2020-03-07_230410.png.a61f32281e4a3e2185784313f3e2fed8.png

It would have kept a file after a crash so you can recover it. If your file didn't bug or crashed earlier, that's why you don't have files in this folder.

Perhaps a moderator can give you a link to upload your file and try to restore it.

It seems to create a file when you open one, and only save the modifications you've done  to this file, since old autosave files can be open only if the original file exist and is at the same place. (I do osome test and delete them, or organize differently my files once a work is done, that's why most of the old autosave files can't open on my computer).

I'm not sure how it's working. I opened  a file 10 minutes ago and modified it, (it's set to 300 secondes), but 12 minutes later  the autosave file isn't updated and show the same modified time.

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Autosave fails on opened files) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you,

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Latest releases on each platform 

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon