You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ipad crashing - selection brush tool

Hi, I have just purchased affinity photo to edit my photos however I have a continuous bug where the selection brush tool can be used, you refine the selection and then if you attempt to output as a new layer with mask, this causes the app to freeze, and sometimes it'll successfully create the layer with the mask but the majority of the time it crashes the app.

this is a 2018 iPad (with pencil support) 32GB model. using the 1st gen pencil, about 8gb free space .. photos imported locally from photos app, 8Mpixel and 16Mpixel jpg's.

also it'll occasionally crash when switching between personas, I like the feature set but the stability is terrible, app version 1.8 and using the latest iOS.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with my 2019 IPad Air with 16gb of spare disk space app crashes every time I hit the apply button. All latest  updates applied and app deleted and re-installed to no avail. Very very frustrating as I upgraded to new iPad and pencil so could use this app. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/9/2020 at 5:53 PM, Chris B said:

Hello Swolf1982 and DirkM,

I managed to reproduce this on a 2018 iPad but not on a 2017 iPad Pro.

I will log this with the development team.

Are there any news about the issue?

Are the developers working on that?

my intention is invert time and probably money in learning how to use the application, but i would like to know if this kind of problems are going to be solved before.

Any information will be appreciated. 

Thanks

I don’t think this will be fixed anytime soon, maybe the next update if at all because I don’t think this problem is common to all iPad Air 3 users, I hope I am wrong but we could have a long wait for this to be fixed. 

Just noticed an odd behaviour with this, I have always told my groups to rasterise an image layer BEFORE trying to cut or duplicate a selection or adding a mask layer.

But I now see that adding a mask layer "appears" to work EVEN when it is an image layer. Is this new behaviour?

I would always instinctively rasterised a layer before using the selection brush. I wonder if the people who are having problems rasterise their image layer before trying to make a selection?

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I have an iPad Pro 13"-and when I try to refine a selection affinity photo locks up...Also, is there a airbrush tool?

I wish there was a search when you are trying to do something and can't find a right tool.  I keep watching you tube video's to find something rather simple to do and it sure would be wonderful to have a search or even a place here to search things you want to do.  

Does that make any sense?  Thanks and love your software

Barbara