You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

One step forward... 1.8.2.1 booleans

Still some lingering issues with booleans. 

Often when creating a shape with booleans you need to unite everything for a final clean shape. I'm still getting some unwanted results requiring extra cleanup steps with 1.8.2.1 beta. See attached.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 10.56.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 10.57.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 10.57.33 AM.png

booleans 1.8.2.1 beta.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Kevin! :) Thanks for the feedback on this - I really do appreciate people thoroughly testing things :)  I do want to warn you though that I still haven't looked at the Divide operation - it gets better as a consequence of the other operations working better, but it is implemented in a sub-optimal way, so until I can give it a few days of attention then I don't expect it to be bug-free, I'm afraid... I'll definitely look at it soon, but unless I specifically mention it in a bug release then it's safe to assume I haven't invested the time and attention it requires yet... :/ 

Thanks again!

Matt

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Hi Kevin! :) Thanks for the feedback on this - I really do appreciate people thoroughly testing things :)  I do want to warn you though that I still haven't looked at the Divide operation - it gets better as a consequence of the other operations working better, but it is implemented in a sub-optimal way, so until I can give it a few days of attention then I don't expect it to be bug-free, I'm afraid... I'll definitely look at it soon, but unless I specifically mention it in a bug release then it's safe to assume I haven't invested the time and attention it requires yet... :/ 

Thanks again!

Matt

Gotcha Matt. Thanks.

The dicing and slicing of shapes is pretty central to my workflow, but I will be patient happy kitten. 🙂

Just clarifying - when we talk about fixing the code for the "Divide" boolean operation, are we not just referring to the unwanted results but also the freeze up of the operation midway through? Each time I run a divide of my expanded paths, I save first because most of the time, Designer freezes when I try to use the divide option... and I have to force quit and try again. It seems to be more successful on smaller doses of objects to divide... 

3 hours ago, Boldlinedesign said:

Just clarifying - when we talk about fixing the code for the "Divide" boolean operation, are we not just referring to the unwanted results but also the freeze up of the operation midway through? Each time I run a divide of my expanded paths, I save first because most of the time, Designer freezes when I try to use the divide option... and I have to force quit and try again. It seems to be more successful on smaller doses of objects to divide... 

Hmm, I've never experienced that. 

I´m a Windows User, but i don´t want to open a new Thread in the Windows Forum in this case. I think that it is the same Problem in Windows and so i post here.

@MattP
Yes, the divide Operation works better then before. Maybe you know the Files and Videos which i provided (with the overlapping circles) and where the Result was that there are after dividing more than 1000 single objects where only 31 should be. The Result is better now, but still not good.
I belive that the biggest Problem is when more than two Objects are overlapping. I tested it with 10 Circles, but they only overlapp one by one. An other Test with three or more overlapping Objects let go the divide Operation crazy.

I created a new Screenvideo which shows what i explained with the overlapping divided Objects.
The first Parts shows if there is only one Object overlapping, the second Part if there are more overlapping Objects. And take a Look to the Top Left in the Video which counts the singel Objects after dividing.
Maybe it helps a little bit....

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

8 hours ago, Boldlinedesign said:

I recommoned giving the current beta a test run if you experienced this in 1.8.0. Fixed at least on "crash bug" - if it didn't fix your problem it would be a good idea to upload a test (example) file for @MattP with a few "steps to reproduce" instructions.

🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.