You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing crashes Affinity Designer/Photo on Mac

I can add to this as I'm having issues with print presets and Affinity products - all 3 - crashing on certain presets.

This thread helps in that I'll go and have a look relating to the artboards and if that's something affecting me as well or if it's something different. So far I haven't been able to pinpoint it yet.

I'm using a Canon Pixma iP8750. I'm printing a lot on Permajet paper and at first I thought it was related to the colour profiles for these papers but I'm also experiencing it with presets for plain paper. 

High Sierra 10.13.6, Affinity apps all on 1.8.4.

Will report back if I figure out more.

I've managed to completely eliminate the problem by making sure to use "Selection" instead of the specific artboard when saving Printing Presets. This means I need to select the artboard I want to print beforehand but once you get used to that step it's smooth and hasn't crashed on me so far... and that is switching between various documents with and without different numbers of artboards.

Zimmt I was going to suggest the default settings in system preferences. It sucks that we have to do that, but it solved the problem. Now developers, please fix the problem because the user should not have to do this. It does this after using an artboard.

Edited by Quetta

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2020 at 10:41 AM, SPaceBar said:

Hey @BertD Let us know how you get on. I have the same printer as you connected to both my work Catalina iMac and my personal Sierra iMac. 👍

@SPaceBar Bit late in replying here. It's been better here since I started paying attention to the setting of selection/artboard as mentioned by @zimmt

I do get caught out still every now and I might not have updated all my settings so here and there is one that will crash the app I'm in.

@SPaceBar Shouted to early here. Just had the same happening again. Switched to a different preset when printing, keeps crashing and can't access the preset at the moment in all 3 apps on Desktop.

When trying to access the same preset in Preview, no such issue. When I try the same jpeg I just tried in Preview in any of the 3 apps, staright away crashes. I had it going ok for a while with the "Use default setting" on.

It does seem like something to do wih Artboards.

1] Open another file with 6 artboards, try to print, crash. Open it again, select an artboard before I select the printer and the preset, no crash.

2] Go back to the new file that crashes, insert an art board to see if that makes a difference, nope. Select the artboard before selecting printer and preset, crash.

3] Open the lastest file again, duplicate the artboard created in 2] twice so now have 3 artboards with the same drawing. Go to print, select a printer, select an Artboard (random), no crash.

4] Then I go back to the file used in 3] Delete all the artboards. Delete all the objects of 2 so I'm kept with what is basically the original file. try to print. Crash.

None the wiser though... at least seem like creating artboards seems to help.

bert

It definitely is an issue with Artboards.

What helps if you do end up getting in a constant crashing loop where you can't even access the print dialog is to checkmark the (Reset Presets Menu to "Default Settings" After Printing") setting under Print Dialog > Show Presets (screenshot further up in this thread).

Best way to recreate is to create 3 files:

1. With no artboards.

2. With 2 artboards.

3. With 6 artboards.

Then open File 3 and save a print preset using the 5th artboard and print. Then open file 1 or 2 and try the same. It should crash.

Yay, I got it @zimmt Thank you for persevering with me on this. I get the crash until I clear the print settings in TextEdit. Then it is all fine again. If, however, I use the print present from File 3 again the next document will crash until I clear it again.

I have logged this and will pass on the information to the development team. 👍

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is still an issue even after the 1.9 updates.

I now have presets which were working ok thanks to @zimmt tips.

So I have saved all my presets without an artboard selected when saving them, had reset print setting checked as well. Now when I select a preset, then select the artboard I want to print it crashes the app (in this case AD) straight away. In the particular file I'm trying to print here I have 3 artboards. One A3 sized, 2 A4 sized. Sometimes I can select the A3 or an A4 and it doesn't crash but the preview in of which page I'm about to print in the print dialog goes blank. Selecting the artboard again then crashes AD straight away.

It's actually gone worse now since 1.9. It does this now on my Black and white Samsung laser and Canon A3 color. As soon as I select an artboard it crashes so can't even print to a PDF. I can export to a PDF and print it from Preview with the printer settings that makes AD crash. It's definitely something Afinity suffers from and not my other apps. I don't want to have to make this round trip via another app.

This is getting really in the way of my work. I rely on me being able to print my work for about half of my income and having to fight this regularly is getting on my nerves. I need to be able to hit print and be done with it, not spending half an hour trying and filing another post here.

EDIT

Opening the file in AP and converting the artboards to spreads makes me able to print the artboard I want. So it's definitely artboard related.

Edited by BertD
Extra info

• 1 month later...

I’m getting rather fed up with having to force quit Designer/Publisher/Photo when I try to print – it must have been buggy for a year now. How far up is it on the to-do list?

Example: go to print, select current page, print fine. Go to print again, freezes.

Only Affinity software. Not specific to printer as I have two different ones.

• 8 months later...

This exact problem still exists in December 2021 in Affinity Photo Ver 1.10.4 and just manifested itself on my new MacMini M1 after several successful printing sessions. The problem started when I created a simple printing preset. AP crashed every time I tried to print until I reverted to the default printer profile when everything worked as before.  I now need to figure out how to delete the preset to avoid using it by mistake.  Thanks to all of the above, I was able to get back to work without too much time being wasted. Hopefully will do something about this as, to be able to crash AP so consistently would seem to be very undesirable.

• 5 weeks later...