You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer v1.8.1 crashing on macOS

Affinity Designer keeps crashing on macOS.  I really started loving the additions to v1.8.1, but am starting to regret upgrading past v1.7.x.

Attached is the crash log sent to Apple.

NOTE: I'm currently on a Macbook Pro (mid-2014) using High Sierra.  Will never be updating macOS on this laptop beyond High Sierra, due to critical issues reported about bricked devices upon installing Mojave or Catalina on those released earlier than 2018.

affinity-designer_v1-8-1_log.txt

I am also regretting the upgrade. Ever since loading 1.8, it seems to really be hogging my system resources. It's an older iMac (OS 10.10.5). I've tried a couple of times today to open and work on a file (originated in AI) that has a LOT of nodes; it is several layers of tire tracks with lots of knobbies. The objects come in grouped. When I ungroup (attempting to get down to just one of the objects) my entire machine lags. Web browsers, mail, etc. If I even can get force quit to open, I quit AD and try again. Or force power down the machine. What I've found thus far in forum is that it's not possible to revert back to previous version if purchased thru App Store. Not happy.

Anyone have suggestions to help remedy this issue, short of buying a new machine? Previous version of AD also seemed to have trouble working in files with lots of nodes (complex objects).

On 3/7/2020 at 5:48 PM, steven.ventimiglia said:

Will never be updating macOS on this laptop beyond High Sierra, due to critical issues reported about bricked devices upon installing Mojave or Catalina on those released earlier than 2018

I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro. I have upgraded to Mojave and later to Catalina. No bricking and no crashing of ADes. Of course it could all happen but I expect it to be the exception rather than the rule. 

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

On 3/12/2020 at 11:09 AM, Lee D said:

I'd recommend giving the latest betas a try and report back if you're still having issues, you can download them from here.

Just out of curiosity, those will work if I run the version provided by the App Store?  Asking since Apple can be finicky.

UPDATE: I now see the updates via App Store.  Much appreciated.

On 3/12/2020 at 12:06 PM, RNKLN said:

I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro. I have upgraded to Mojave and later to Catalina. No bricking and no crashing of ADes. Of course it could all happen but I expect it to be the exception rather than the rule. 

Good to know.  I have a 2013 and mid-2014.  The big difference is that the 2013 isn't a glued-in machine of possibly unrecoverable failures.  What're your specs and do you think it's improved or slowed down the overall system?  Imo, they need to go back to basics since Applecare is as helpful as a sponge in a trench war and there's only so far we can push seven year-old hardware.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing has improved. Seems to be especially bad when working with several vector objects in a clip (layer mask). I've had to force shut down and restart my machine twice in the last half hour while trying to tweak a design.

EDIT: I started importing a multipage PDF to edit in AD (had 4 or 5 pages). I had to step away before going thru with the import. When I came back, machine was completely locked up on the PDF import screen. I forced a restart and imported the PDF without issue, as long as I did it right then and didn't let the mac rest during the process. Also - I'm not in Affinity Photo as much as Designer, but the latest version of Photo is doing the same thing - causing machine to freeze up or slow to a maddening crawl.

AD team - any suggestions or fixes? I realize this is a bit of a ghost-chase. Using current version of AD is rendering my machine almost useless for design.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth - I went into the Performance prefs on both ADAP and significantly lowered RAM Usage Limit and Undo Limit. For some reason by default these are both very, very high. Seemed to help. I was able to finish the project that was giving me fits earlier with no freezes. We'll see if this works long-term.