You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush size preview only visible during brush stroke (1.8.1)

First of all I'm not sure if it's a bug or a wrong preference setting:

What happens is that the circle showing brush size only appears during a paint stroke (pen down on Wacom tablet) and with pen up (pen hovering above the drawing area) it show the standard OSX mouse cursor. During normal operations that leads to a situation where the mouse pointer and the brush size preview or any gizmo to interact with layer contents constantly alternate (flicker).

I've only recently upgraded my OS from High Sierra to Mojave and also updated AP and AD. I'm absolutely sure that I changed nothing in my preferences and that the behaviour wasn't there in 1.7.3 on High Sierra.

It affects both AP and AD 1.8.1

Also it seems to only happen when switching from another application to AP/AD via clicking into its interface (running in separated mode here).

That is weird that you get the brush preview when the pen is on the tablet and the Mac Cursor when it is up. I get the circle/preview as soon as I choose the brush tool. First thing I would check is the Wacom drivers current version here on OS 10.14.6 is 6.3.38-3 I should add that I never ran High Sierra went from 10.12.x to this one.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Yeah I just compared with another installation of Affinity (different OS version) and there I do not have mouse cursor at all on the canvas with paint tools active.

Nice tip with the Wacom drivers, I have 6.3.30-something installed, 2018 era stuff. Will try out over the weekend, just have to do a backup first.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @thomasp,

I've just had the exact same issue this morning. I rebooted my iMac and was fine ever since. I've installed the XP pen artist drives and this happened. I believe it somehow hijacks the cursor for the session until you reboot, as I've never seen this before. 

• 1 month later...