You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I was excited to learn about the metadata editing feature.  I have a standalone product that does it, but it is really cumbersome.

However, there are some things that Affinity Photo 1.8.0.585 (currently the most recent version for me) isn't doing, and I am wondering if I am missing something, or if it is just not there yet.  I am using a Windows PC.

I have entered data in all of the fields on the File page, I left EXIF alone, IPTC (Image) I entered my name for Credit, IPTC (Contact) I entered Country and Website. 
For the Rights, I don't intend to put this image in the Public Domain, nor allow Creative Commons use.  So I did not check Public Domain and set CC to none.  I did fill out Attribution URL and Attribution Name.  In the Statement box I tried to put my entire copyright notice, but there is a field limit size so it doesn't all fit. 

When I look at Detail, it seems to imply that I have given this image Creative Commons rights, not left it at none.  All of the other data seems to be what I entered, only the problem with the short Statement field in the Rights section.

I exported my image, which was not nearly instant as usual, I had a progress bar and it took 30 - 45 sec or so.  (I have only one layer)
Right click / Details of the image shows me none of the information that I entered in Affinity Photo.  It looks exactly like the Details from the image before I added the metadata.  I did check that when I re opened the image with metadata in Affinity Photo, the new data was there.
In comparison, my other metadata editor (Using a different image) shows about 3 pages of information, including Title, Subject, Rating, Tags, Author, and Copyright. 

Is there something that I missed to get all of this information to show when someone checks the details of the image?
Do I just have to leave the rights page blank so that my image is not assumed to be creative commons?
Can the Statement field be longer?

Thank you!

6 hours ago, AncientWire said:

In the Statement box I tried to put my entire copyright notice, but there is a field limit size so it doesn't all fit.

Can the Statement field be longer?

The Statement field is stored under both XMP and IPTC tags.  While I don't think there is a limit on the XMP tags, there is a limit on the IPTC 'CopyrightNotice' field, which is limited by the IIM (Information Interchange Model) format to 128 characters. See the below link:

https://www.iptc.org/std/photometadata/documentation/userguide/#_copyright_notice

I did fill out Attribution URL and Attribution Name.

When I look at Detail, it seems to imply that I have given this image Creative Commons rights, not left it at none.

Do I just have to leave the rights page blank so that my image is not assumed to be creative commons?

It's not saying that you have given the image Creative Commons rights in the 'CC' (License) field, what it's displaying is the name of the metadata section where that particular data is stored. The data in the below fields is stored under XMP-cc (XMP Creative Commons) metadata; therefore if you fill any of these fields in, they will appear under the Creative Commons section in the 'Detail' tab:

– CC (License)
– More Perms URL (MorePermissions)
– Attribution URL (AttributionURL)
– Attribution Name (AttributionName)

In the below link, you will see the exact same tags listed under 'Specifying License Information', which is what these fields refer to:

https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/XMP

I exported my image, which was not nearly instant as usual, I had a progress bar and it took 30 - 45 sec or so.  (I have only one layer)

Right click / Details of the image shows me none of the information that I entered in Affinity Photo.  It looks exactly like the Details from the image before I added the metadata.  I did check that when I reopened the image with metadata in Affinity Photo, the new data was there.

Is there something that I missed to get all of this information to show when someone checks the details of the image?

Is sounds like you may have exported to PNG file format.  Does the information show OK if you export to JPG or TIF?

PNG is a bit of a headache when it comes to metadata; EXIF for example wasn't even part of the official PNG specification until 2017.  I'm guessing that those metadata tags aren't (or weren't historically) registered as part of the PNG specification, which is why they don't show in Windows.  Although Affinity Photo adds the metadata to XMP in PNG files, there's no guarantee that it will be read by other software.  In your case, Windows File Explorer doesn't read this XMP metadata for PNG files and is why it will only show 'Date Taken' in the dialogue box—but this is out of Serif's control.

1 hour ago, - S - said:

there is a limit on the IPTC 'CopyrightNotice' field, which is limited by the IIM (Information Interchange Model) format to 128 characters.

I thought that it might be limited by something like that.  Thank you.

Thanks for the Creative Commons link

I had exported as a png.  I exported again as a jpg and my information showed up.  Thanks!  I didn't realize that about pngs.

One more question I forgot to ask earlier - Is there a way to save some of the fields?  Is there a way to save a template? or would a macro work?
Thanks

10 hours ago, AncientWire said:

One more question I forgot to ask earlier - Is there a way to save some of the fields?  Is there a way to save a template? or would a macro work?

On the Metadata panel you can click on the 'Hamburger' menu and it will give options to export/import 'File, IPTC & Rights' to an XMP file.

You can also use macros (see the example macro below).  Either record a macro directly or record a macro that imports 'File, IPTC & Rights' from an XMP file you have previously exported (it will store the metadata from the XMP file inside the actual macro—meaning it won't be reliant on the XMP file needing to be present at a later date).

If using [File > New Batch Job], you can use one of the macros you've recorded.

Example Macro:
Metadata.afmacros

Screenshot:
001.thumb.png.7133cbb5c9f6eb3a8f0fdc7818101fd4.png

• 1 month later...

Hi,

which field of the metadata.xml file (one can export) are needed?

<?xpacket begin=" " id="W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d"?>

Should this be uniqui in every file / picture or what is this line ment for?

I followed this information:

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Panels/metadataPanel.html?title=Metadata panel

Anyway exporting and importing like explained is not optimal. The exportet xml file needs to be edited first.

Regards

16 hours ago, hitachi said:

which field of the metadata.xml file (one can export) are needed?

Needed for what?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7