You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Re install Affinity 1.7.3

See the FAQ section of these forums:

If purchased through the Mac App Store then officially it can’t be done, however I successfully downgraded Designer back to 1.7.3 using TimeMachine. See here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/108778-how-to-downgrade-to-the-previous-version/&do=findComment&comment=587935

Though I would say here that now I’m using the latest beta version of Designer as it fixed a lot of the Boolean operations that were effecting me.
All three Affinity apps currently have beta versions that are recommended as incremental updates to the current retail versions.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Beta versions are for testing purpuses.

They are never recommended for production use. 🙂

Most sane choice now is to continue real work in version in 1.7.3 and perhaps monkey around in betas with non important files.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

40 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Beta versions are for testing purpuses.

They are never recommended for production use.

Normally I would totally agree with you on this🙂
But here is the quote from Designer 1.8.2.1 beta’s release notes: "This beta is an incremental update to the 1.8.1 version recently released to all customers (though it installs parallel to the release). We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below…"
Both current Photo and Publisher betas also carry the same statement.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Thanks everyone for replying. I made a boo-boo!!!   After editing an image I hit "Save as" instead of "Export".  With the Export image all my other programs work.

Atlrob, I have sent an email to Affinity asking how to remove 1.8.1 and if a get a reply as to how to it I will forward the info to you.

Best regards everyone.

4 hours ago, markw said:

Normally I would totally agree with you on this🙂
But here is the quote from Designer 1.8.2.1 beta’s release notes: "This beta is an incremental update to the 1.8.1 version recently released to all customers (though it installs parallel to the release). We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below…"
Both current Photo and Publisher betas also carry the same statement.

Yeah, but 1.8.x is just less affected by problems than the semi-catastrophic 1.8.0 is. I think Serif made a terrible decision when they released 1.8.0 with so many crippling bugs. The above recommendation could be another bad decision. The worst problem is perhaps that files saved in 1.8 cannot be reopened in 1.7.3 and everyone with files saved in 1.8 without backup are in desperate need of a solution.

As I see it 1.8.x is still shaky and unsafe for real work. Even for my hobby project that has been in the works for months now though, a huge and complicated file. I have many backups and the main file is versioned in a cloud backup but returning to a week old backup would require a lot of work to be redone. I am staying in 1.7.3 until the situation is under control. Lesson learned.

I get this problem when saving now in 1.8.1 beta - never saw it before. Other report similar issues when saving in different variants (fx internal error). So I recommend 1.7.3 for anyone working with serious stuff.

image.thumb.png.d7c8fc76793d6002a812461f1e1d1209.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 3/7/2020 at 7:12 AM, atlrob said:

I asked this same question a few posts earlier and got no satisfactory response.  I should have kept

the last update file to 1.7.  My mistake.

R. Burns

This is a reply I received from Affinity..it works.

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 7.38.39 PM.png

I just lost 16 HOURS converting and painstakingly copy-pasting my COMPLEX 300-page project with over 25 STYLES back to ADOBE INDESIGN.

1.8.0 crashed my entire PC while ADDING a SINGLE PAGE or removing it.

---------------SUPER UNHAPPY WITH 1.8.0 THIS IS DISASTROUS----------------

48 minutes ago, KWENTINO said:

1.8.0 crashed my entire PC while ADDING a SINGLE PAGE or removing it.

In what sense did 1.8.0 crash your entire PC?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

An incremental RAM and CPU drain made my PC hang and I was unable to do anything, no mouse, no process viewer, black screen with no response.

I had to hard reset my PC several times during the testing, endangering my work document and my whole system

It was a grave mistake making the different versions incompatible : 1.8 should allow saving in 1.7.3 or lower

When stuck with a bugged document, it is fatal to projects with large page count and complex elements

1.8.2 beta didn't work

Thanks for that info, Kwentino.

1 hour ago, KWENTINO said:

It was a grave mistake making the different versions incompatible : 1.8 should allow saving in 1.7.3 or lower

Major releases (1.8, 1.7, 1.6, ...) of the Affinity applications have always had new formats that the older releases didn't understand. This wasn't new with 1.8.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1