You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Random BSOD

Hello,

I just purchased Affinity Photo (current version) on my system and have been in a few days encountering already 2 BSOD.

I cannot reproduce this issue which has been appearing randomly while editing Fuji XT2/XH1 raw files.

1st time was when switching to liquify mode, 2nd time was when shifting the clarity cursor (before clicking develop raw).

The BSOD message does not refer to a specific file (as I understand it may happen with Affinity Photo based on other posts I read) but mentioned:

IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL (first BSOD)

PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA (second BSOD)

I am using the last version of Windows 10 1909 with last proposed updates installed.

I know these kind of issues often relate to faulty hardware (ram, ssd) however, my system is quite recent (1 year old), very stable, and I have never encountered a single BSOD  since I built it. This occured only twice and while using Affinity Photo.

Thank you for your assistance.  

Maxime

Edited by Max Gr

• Staff

Hey Max Gr, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Affinity isn't capable of causing a BSOD—however as you pointed out, faulty hardware or more likely, on a new system, a bad driver. 

I'm not really qualified to suggest what may be causing the crash, however I have seen the IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL BSOD before and it was related to audio drivers. Not to sure about the other one I'm afraid.

Thanks for your reply. 

I understand that Affinity Photo can not cause BSOD by itself. However I am still wondering why these BSOD only happened while using this app whereas the system has been rock stable since one year, including when using other photos editors. 

Regards,

Maxime

Thanks Fritz.

To give an update:

Following my last message, I inquired a bit more and checked how the system would behave with the Windows verifier.exe tool activated.

This tool stresses the drivers and it appears that each boot of my machine was followed by a BSOD (System thread exception this time).

I managed to access the DMP files and they pointed towards a file called hidclass.sys which often relates to input devices.

By chance, I found a post on google that suggested that Logitech G-Hub (mouse driver) could be responsible. I uninstalled it and there was no BSOD at startup anymore with verifier.exe activated.

Now I am not sure that this was causing the issue in Affinity Photo but it is likely. I have not had BSOD since. Time will confirm.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Maxime