You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stroke size is way different than in 1.7

Hello, I just downloaded the latest Windows 10 beta (affinity-designer-customer-beta-1.8.1.6041.8.4) and most of the bugs were ironed out. However, now the size of stroke seems to be messed up.

Before if a stroke was say 30 pixels, you could draw a rectangle 30 pixels wide and it would be exactly the same. Now the stroke at 30 pixels is something like 30+100 pixels. So you have to draw a 130 rectangle to make it exactly the same width as the stroke. Am I missing something?

Here'e a screenshot and the AF file.

stroke.png

stroke.afdesign

I checked out your file and I don't think this is a problem. Points and pixels are different units. Your document resolution is 300 dpi, so are several pixels to each point. 1 px and 1 pt will only be the same size if your document is screen resolution (72 dpi).

You can confirm this by working out the the point/pixel factor by dividing the resolutions—e.g. (72 / 300) × 130.2px = 31.2 pt. So at 300 dpi 31.2 pt = 130.2 px

Of course you can still simply enter pixel values (e.g. "130.2 px") into the boxes and it will automatically convert to points and be the width you want. Just remember to enter the units you want after the value.

Edited by mark-h
Fixing a typo in the numbers.

mark-h was faster. 30px != 30pt You are talking about pixels, but the stroke is in points.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

But wasn't this different in 1.7? I'll check my document resolution.

Update,  yes, apparently I worked with 72DPI before.

Does the DPI matter in vector files?

On another sorry for reporting this as a bug, moderator you can close this thread.

3 hours ago, SuperUser said:

Does the DPI matter in vector files?

If everything is vector then not really, there are no dots/pixels to be concerned about. The only time you might want to consider DPI is if you're exporting to a PDF file where unsupported features might get rasterized.

• Staff

In addition to what has said if you prefer to work with your strokes in document units then you can go into Preferences > User Interface and turn off 'Show Lines in Points' - it will then ensure the Strokes use whatever document unit you are using - so you're free to use any DPI should you need!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.