You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyperlinks are gone

What happened to the hyperlinks in this new v1.8.1? I have hyperlinks text in my documents, and before this version whenever I would export my document to PDF, all of those hyperlinks became clickable. Now, the PDF seems flat, even the text is not selectable at all (before it was), and the links text are not clickable hyperlinks. It seems like the PDF pages are 100% images.

I did check the "Include hyperlinks" option in the Save as PDF settings, so that is not it.

I've ditched Adobe for Affinity years ago, and this was absolutely essential for me. Not having this is a major problem. Please help!

Thanks!
Alex

They are reports on the forums of PDFs containing rasterized text rather than vector text, which would probably eliminate hyperlinks, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

48 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

They are reports on the forums of PDFs containing rasterized text rather than vector text, which would probably eliminate hyperlinks, too.

Thanks @walt.farrell! That would probably be the problem. Is there any solution to that that you are aware of?

I'm sure it's high on their priority list, @alexbet, but there's no fix or workaround for it yet, that I recall. But I haven't paid close attention to it. Perhaps another user will know, or someone from Serif will provide an update. You could look through the Designer Bugs on Mac forum, or use this search, and see what you find.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

However, @alexbet, I just realized you posted in the Designer Feedback forum. Hyperlinks are a Publisher function. Are you sure you had them in Designer before?

-- Walt
PC:

On 3/5/2020 at 7:25 PM, walt.farrell said:

Are you sure you had them in Designer before?

While Designer does not export PDFs with hyperlinks, some PDF readers will automatically convert text that looks like a URL into a hyperlink when it is present in the document.

The "Include hyperlinks" option is in fact present in the PDF export "More" dialog for Designer, presumably to include hyperlinks that were created in Publisher in documents later opened in Designer.

If the OP's PDFs were previously being exported with URLs in actual text, and are now being rasterized, then it is possible that the PDFs were being opened in readers that perform this automatic conversion and they can't find the URLs any more as they are now raster images rather than actual text?

On 3/5/2020 at 5:23 PM, walt.farrell said:

PDFs containing rasterized text rather than vector text

On 3/5/2020 at 4:57 PM, alexbet said:

It seems like the PDF pages are 100% images

A few things to check if you are in fact getting rasterized text:

• In the PDF export "More" dialog, make sure "Rasterize" is not set to "Everything" and that "Allow advanced features" is enabled.
  • Make sure that the blend mode of the layer containing the text is not set to a mode that is not supported by PDF (if you have it set to anything other than "Normal", try doing an export with it changed to "Normal" to see if that makes any difference).

Additionally, if you are in fact relying on the automatic URL recognition of your PDF viewer and are now using a different PDF viewer (or a newer/older version of the PDF viewer) it is possible that the different reader might not be looking for URLs to present as links.  Some do, some do not; you might also look for related preferences.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, MBweb said:

In the PDF export "More" dialog put a wing in "include hyperlinks" option - then they work in the PDF.

Except that we're talking about Designer, and a Designer file won't have hyperlinks in it unless they were added by processing the file in Publisher.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: