You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Show Visual Indication of Text Frame Inset

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, coque.regis said:

Same here, is there a way to do that?

Hi @coque.regis,

it is not possible to make it visible like margin. But there is one a little absurd thing. If you give the frame more than one coloumn you see a blue line of the inset. It is absurd in the sense that there is no obvious reason to have this only on frames with more than one coloumn 😉

More of a workaround is to create a style from a text frame as it is. Then add a border to the text frame that has the width of the inset and give it a light transparent colour of your choice. From this you create a second style. That way you can quickly switch between the two. Note: since this is only a workaround this can become a litte confusing if you want to do this with multiple different text frame styles. But  I think in certain situations this should work for now.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/25/2020 at 3:26 PM, dominik said:

It is absurd in the sense that there is no obvious reason to have this only on frames with more than one coloumn 😉

Indeed weird. Did you report this as a bug ?

On 5/25/2020 at 3:26 PM, dominik said:

More of a workaround is to create a style from a text frame as it is. Then add a border

Another workaround to display the inset as border is to create a second column and set its width = 0.
Whereas a text decoration in column width would highlight the inset area.

1873495625_showinsetguidewtxtfrm.jpg.37fbabbdc3c6b9fd53a13807cfd8822f.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Indeed weird. Did you report this as a bug ?

Another workaround to display the inset as border is to create a second column and set its width = 0.
Whereas a text decoration in column width would highlight the inset area.

1873495625_showinsetguidewtxtfrm.jpg.37fbabbdc3c6b9fd53a13807cfd8822f.jpg

I did not report it as a bug because I had the impression it is by design. But perhaps it's worth to talk to Serif to find out.

Your suggestion with a zero width column is a good hack but nevertheless a workaround. Text frame insets should be (at some point) an option as visual aid.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

• 4 months later...

Just adding to an olde thread - incase someone picks this up. I use text frame insets as an easy way to position text elements using snap.. a lot.

You set up an inset of say 3mm, then snap the text frame to the edge of the page or image confident the text is 3mm away from it. I'm not sure how many people are advance [cough] enough to have figured out how much of a boon this is. See attached illustations (from Adobe InDesign and Designer).

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 13.22.47.png

(I'm in here searching for how to specify an inset and don't believe I've found the answer yet.). Really hoping being able to inset the text frame is possible in Designer (as well as all the others).. or it'll be glum face time.

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 13.22.27.png

EDIT: Found answer. Currenlty (as at 4 Mar 2021), you pop into publisher. Set up a text frame with an inset. The copy the text frame into Designer. The inset is then fixed, but you can clone the text box and use... not the most sophisticated caper, but workable. Fingers crossed this is introduced into Designer where text is often labelling something.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

2 hours ago, ProDesigner said:

You set up an inset of say 3mm, then snap the text frame to the edge of the page or image confident the text is 3mm away from it. I'm not sure how many people are advance [cough] enough to have figured out how much of a boon this is. See attached illustations (from Adobe InDesign and Designer).

in Designer you can set up a Paragraph Style to have a 3mm space before and then use Always for the Use Space Before...

1039330469_ScreenShot2021-03-04at7_38_29AM.png.564f6e4ebb46e81580852477fc8425b9.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Ah yes, good thinking! Of course!!

Just so used to having used inset for the job.

This would work in Designer iPad, too.

👍 Thanks @Old Bruce

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

7 hours ago, ProDesigner said:

pop into publisher. Set up a text frame with an inset.

Since Publisher 1.9 there's also Text Frame > Vertical Position > Initial Advance which can do the same thing but also adds a bunch of other tricks and options not available via Inset Top.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/4/2020 at 6:30 PM, dominik said:

I did not report it as a bug because I had the impression it is by design. But perhaps it's worth to talk to Serif to find out.

Your suggestion with a zero width column is a good hack but nevertheless a workaround. Text frame insets should be (at some point) an option as visual aid.

d.

please report it as a bug...it's a problem!

On 7/4/2021 at 6:59 PM, Webb123 said:

please report it as a bug...it's a problem!

You are free to report it as a bug by yourself. I still consider it as by design.

BTW, welcome to the forum @Webb123!

d.

• 4 weeks later...