You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keep same scale of linked pdf image while updating or relinking

I am working at an architectural firm, we create plans in pdf (first floor, second floor etc) and it is necessary that these are displayed on a certain scale. While updating or relinking the pdf's the scale of these linked images change. This does not always happen. 

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? Is there a way of controlling this updating and relinking.

Edited by Ralphhhhh

• Staff

Hi Ralphhhhh,

Welcome to the forums :)

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response, due to the release of version 1.8 we have been somewhat inundated with tickets and this means our response time is a little longer than normal.

I've tried replicating this issue here, using both the Context Toolbar & Resource Manager 'Replace Document' options and both worked as expected when choosing the same PDF document in a different location - the size of the placed object did not change.

Could you possibly provide a screen recording showing your workflow, and the issue you're encountering? Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan, 

With this message also the screen recording.The cropped pdf scaled after updating. The original PDF was dragged into Publisher. I hope you can find out what happened. I need to update more plans.

Kind regards, Ralph

Edited by Ralphhhhh

• Staff

Unfortunately no screen recording has been attached Ralph, could you try again for me? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

There appears to be an issue with your recording being uploaded here, could you try and upload it to our dropbox instead?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/C9t4SDcoCLds7INo45NR

• 8 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @kmmm,

Welcome to the forums and my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

Can you please provide a screen recording of the behaviour you're having trouble with?

Many thanks in advance :)

• 1 month later...

Hi @Dan C, hi others,

I am also working as an architecture student and facing the same problem here. Maybe I can help with more information:

In my case we ware working with a cloud solution where my colleague is updating some plans (mostly .AI) which are linked to the Layout file I am working on in Affinity Publisher.

For example: "200730_floorplan_eg.ai" was updated by him and he saved it in our cloud folder with a new name. "210123_floorplan_eg.ai" Through my cloud the file gets synced to a local folder. Also the new floorplan has the same dimensions and placement as the old one.

A few days ago he would always save an updated file with a new date in front. Then I would go to the resource manager and take the placed floorplan which was sometimes placed 10 times in different zooms on different pages. I would take the file and "replace" the old one with the new version of it. This process always worked great. We never had an issue with different place or scale with the replaced files.

Since we wanted to save this last step of me replacing the old files as well as to avoid missing old to replace files we tried to not put a date on the placed file. My colleague should just replace the "floorplan_eg.ai" in the cloud folder. When I open Affinity or the resource manager it would tell me that the file has been changed and placed files are blurry. Now when I choose "refresh" file in the resource manager the bug appears. Not all but some of the placed files have different scales than they had before. I thought it had something to do with one file beeing placed in different scales in the Publisher file but I had the some problem with a file being placed only once.

So I think the bug must have something to do with the method of replacing a file or refreshing it.

Would also love for this to work in the future to automate the process even better.

Greetings

Marlon

• Staff

Hi @mrlnhchr,

Welcome to the forums and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble!

On 1/23/2021 at 10:45 AM, mrlnhchr said:

Now when I choose "refresh" file in the resource manager the bug appears. Not all but some of the placed files have different scales than they had before.

Can you please confirm for me:

• Are all of your placed files within Picture Frames in your document, or simply placed layers on the canvas?
  • The files that are affected, what file format are these please? For example is it only your .Ai files that change when updating?
  • Does this still happen if you update one file, rather than multiple at once?
  • Does this happen in only one specific file, or in any document in Publisher?

Many thanks in advance :)

Hi,

So far I am really enjoying Affinty over Adobe especially with your pricing and the studio link feature. I am pretty much working in Publisher only which is a great workflow so far.  The refreshing of files seems to be one of the only bugs I experienced so far. For example: I miss .DWG support as well as some other key features, that I hope will be implented soon. Other than that I am really happy with Affinity! So back to your question:

Picture Frames:

With picture frames you mean the masking tool, to cut a floor plan or a placed picture?   If that is what you mean, then yes. They are placed and linked in the document by drag and drop. They also have multiple effects on them and are placed in different scales and positions on multiple pages.

File Format:

It occured in .pdf and .ai placed files.

Update one or multiple files:

It happened in both scenarios. First I refreshed all, didnt work. Some scales were changed. Then I thought the RAM was on its limits and refreshing multiple files caused errors, so I tried them one by one. But still the changing scale happened on some of them.

Specific file or only one document:

So far it only happened in this one Publisher file but like I said this is the first time we tried the refreshing method instead of replacing method. Sine others had the same problem I guess its not linked to the specific file.

Greetings

Marlon

• Staff

I'm really glad to hear you're enjoying using Affinity as much a we enjoy making it!

We do hope to add DWG/DXF support in the future, although we have no timescale for this currently, my apologies.

22 hours ago, mrlnhchr said:

With picture frames you mean the masking tool, to cut a floor plan or a placed picture?   If that is what you mean, then yes. They are placed and linked in the document by drag and drop. They also have multiple effects on them and are placed in different scales and positions on multiple pages.

Apologies, I was referring to Picture Frames which are objects in Affinity that can have linked/embedded images & documents within them. Picture Frames have different scale controls from images/documents placed directly on the canvas, which is why I was checking this :)

It sounds as though I'm going to need a copy of your Publisher document to look into this further, of course I will also need your linked content too.

Can you please upload these files to the below link for me, then let me know once this has been completed?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/SPLFbTWazalczn9OrNM0

Many thanks once again!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue ... what we need here is what I think it called "Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking" in Indesign wich mean keep the same scale and crop when replace the photo. like these vedios that I recorded from my PC.

First from Indesign .. https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gznyusteslmx01/_INV%20Profile%20-%20print%20-%2026-11-2019%20-%202019%20version.indd%20%40%2048%25%202021-02-19%2016-49-10.mp4?dl=0

2nd from Affinity .. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yoj5ytx7bhgpmcj/Affinity%20Publisher%202021-02-19%2016-51-30.mp4?dl=0

I think it is an easy and small issue but it is very important for us (engineers and architect).

• Staff

Hi @Baraa,

Welcome to the Affinity forums :)

I can confirm, to all in this thread, that this is a known issue with Affinity Publisher 1.9.0, as this functionality was working as expected in 1.8.5.

Our developers are aware of this bug and we're working to fix it - we hope for this fix to be within the next few beta versions. You can find the latest betas available for Publisher here -

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/62-affinity-publisher-beta-forums/

I hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

To all reporting this issue, as I understand it this has been fixed in our latest beta versions. You can find these linked below, please download and install the beta version alongside your retail version, so that you have 2 versions of the Affinity app installed.

Windows - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/137468-affinity-publisher-customer-beta-1921006/

Mac - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/137467-affinity-publisher-customer-beta-1921006/

Should you have any issues to report when using these beta versions, please post in the relevant section of the forums, linked below -

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/62-affinity-publisher-beta-forums/