You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.8.2.173)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download ZIP: Download

Auto-update: Available

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the third beta of Affinity Photo 1.8.2 for macOS.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.8.1 version recently released to all customers (though it installs parallel to the release). We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

Changes This Build

Fixed sporadic PDF load crash.
Fixed refine selection crash.
Fixed develop persona crash on Mavericks and older.
Disabled full screen mode for new document panel.
Fixed some blurry non-retina UI.
XMP pass through of unknown tags.
Localisation tweaks.
Help improvements.

Changes Since 1.8.1

- Further live filter fixes (as reported).
- Boolean operation fixes.
- Halftone crash fix with specific document sizes.
- Added stepper controls to the refine panel.

- Significant quality improvements to live filter rendering.
- Fixed focus merge issues (some images would get ignored).
- Improvements to customisable shortcuts UI.
- Defringe improvements.
- Added ability to preview fonts on black or white background.
- New document panel - terminology and UI tweaks.
- New document panel - saves settings between uses.
- Reinstated double click functionality on zoom, view tools.
- Improved responsiveness when editing large blocks of text.
- Fixed blurred toolbar buttons on non-retina displays.
- Fixed inability to move information page samplers in develop etc.
- Fixed occasional live perspective transform crash.
- Fixed luminosity details stepper in develop persona.
- Fixed mask bugs when resizing documents.
- Fixed inability to enter white balance temperature correctly in develop persona.

To be notified about all future macOS beta updates, please follow this notification thread 
To be notified when this Photo update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Affinity Photo on macOS customers, please follow this thread

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

On my macbook retina, all three apps look great. On my mac desktop running two monitors (2560 x 1440), a number of UI elements look blurry... the grids however are the biggest offenders.

Before making a purchase, I would love to try out the beta version you've linked to in order to see if these issue are fixed on my desktop, but it looks like I need to have an active license in order to do so.

Any chance this beta version can be trialled?

Whilst slightly cross-threading... are there beta versions available for Designer and Publisher that tackle the same blurriness issues?

Kind regards

Jim

1 hour ago, jimf3000 said:

On my macbook retina, all three apps look great. On my mac desktop running two monitors (2560 x 1440), a number of UI elements look blurry... the grids however are the biggest offenders.

Before making a purchase, I would love to try out the beta version you've linked to in order to see if these issue are fixed on my desktop, but it looks like I need to have an active license in order to do so.

Any chance this beta version can be trialled?

Whilst slightly cross-threading... are there beta versions available for Designer and Publisher that tackle the same blurriness issues?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

You've posted about an old beta, for 1.8.2. The current trial should be a 1.8.2 version that is newer than the beta you've asked about. When you start it (or check About), what version is shown?

You can find all the beta versions in the Beta Software Forums. They are currently at the 1.8.3 level, but are never available except to customers who have purchased the retail version.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello Walt!

Thanks for the welcome :)

Ooops! Yes, correct - the trial version I've installed is Photo 1.8.2 - so a later release than the beta...

...which means the blurriness remains an issue in the current release, at least for me anyway (only on non-retina display, that is).

I'm keen to ditch Adobe, but a lack of crispness with some of the UI elements and the grid lines is holding me back from buying a copy of Affinity Photo.

Maybe I'll just wait for another release to see if things improve.

How are the grid lines on your machine(s)?

Cheers

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 13.00.22.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 13.15.34.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 13.16.10.png

16 minutes ago, jimf3000 said:

How are the grid lines on your machine(s)?

You're welcome.

I'm on Windows, so I don't have the problem.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Am I correct that this is the new Beta for macOS 1.8.2 release revIsion?  If so, can we hope for fix in Apple Photos?

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Hello Cecil,
The most recent Mac beta can be found here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/111354-affinity-designer-customer-beta-1831-release-candidate/

There is no specific mention of fixes regarding Catalina Apple Photos & AP.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

Am I correct that this is the new Beta for macOS 1.8.2 release revIsion?  

As 1.8.2 is already released, the next beta is for 1.8.3. You can always find the most recent betas for Mac listed in the News section of the forums, in Affinity Range Mac Beta Release Notifications and the specific post with the beta (if any) pinned near the top of the appropriate product beta forum.

-- Walt
PC:

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

They are currently at the 1.8.3 level, but are never available except to customers who have purchased the retail version.

When I read this statement and actions they were identifying I did not see anything concerning Apple Photos.  I was just kindly hinting we need a fix macOS.  Thank you.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection