You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening the Node Welding can of worms

Affinity team, please, put some work into the node welding. I'm seeing this topic keeps coming up and yet years later its generally not working. Two nodes on top of each other, same object, two curves and the nodes won't weld together. Curve direction is an issue since each curve may be in a different direction, this should be fixed at run time when the two nodes are combined. New curve should preserve both sides of the node, so a check if it needs to be cusp, smooth or symmetrical. That's it. I know this is a huge mathematical/coding challenge but your team is challenging big players in the industry (and doing a really good job over all so far) so you have to face this issue at some point and conquer it. This is a very basic need, the fact that it's an issue is a really a bad mark on an incredible piece of software.

Please, please, please address this.

So to expand a little on this, since it's still vexing me. I did some tests using the boolean Add as directed in comments from other forums. This works only if there are two parts. As soon as it's three shapes then it doesn't check overlapping nodes, it just creates its own lines to close the three shapes independently. I have tried selecting the two nodes and joining, reversing one curve and doing the same, selecting one node and dropping it on top of another node. None of it makes a difference. I'll keep testing and searching, I really want to make this work.

• Staff

Hi JeffreyK,

Have you tried the latest Windows beta? There has been some fixes to boolean commands inside that.

Also are you able to get any form of screen recordings that demonstrate the issues, along with any supporting files, as that will aid us in making sure we understand completely the issues you are having.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

I did find the ADD command seems to do what I expected for the most part (I always keep trying things under the assumption I'm an idiot). But this isn't really the best method, it even deleted that bottom node in the middle (which is fine in this case). Selecting which nodes I want to weld into one still seems the most logical way in terms of control. I still suggest the team looks into the Join Curves command/button as to what it is actually doing, or ... explain to me what I'm doing wrong (I find queries about this on the forum going back to 2015).

I kept going, found a case when the Add function isn't working. I have 4 curves, all joined together, when I use the Add function it decides to connect points that aren't overlapping. Image 1 for reference, those are the parts. Image 2, how I put them together (Merge Curve to make them one object). Image 3, how the Add function closes the curves together. As you can see, me choosing which nodes to weld or letting it weld all overlapping nodes would be best.

curves 01.png Image 1
curves 02.pngImage 2
curves 03.pngImage 3

Im

On 3/10/2020 at 4:45 PM, Sean P said:

Hi JeffreyK,

Have you tried the latest Windows beta? There has been some fixes to boolean commands inside that.

Also are you able to get any form of screen recordings that demonstrate the issues, along with any supporting files, as that will aid us in making sure we understand completely the issues you are having.

Thanks

I just tried the most recent beta for a few minutes - the beta does seem to have some welcome improvements.

Could you please check the beta out @JeffreyK - if it is better great, of course, but perhaps you can help Serif fine-tune the improvement even further if you can find more scenarios with errors. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• Staff
18 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

@Sean P@Jowday

Yip, the Beta seems to be doing the welds nicely. Thanks for that, it's been a bit painful since I bought it in 2016 and now I'm happy this very core feature is working. :D

Thanks Jowday, for mentioning the beta. I can confirm that there have been improvements made in 1.8.4 and that Join Curves should now weld two selected nodes together. Of course if you do spot anything amiss with it then please do create a new thread and attach an offending example so we can take a look.