You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have seen and followed some tutorials with no success. I have made a selection from part of image (a). I duplicate that selection with Ctrl J. Next I copy image (b) reselect image (a), do the paste inside. My pasted image is not visible on my layer selection. I can see the pasted image in the layers panel. Please advise.  In my attached file, you can see my selection and the pasted image in the layers panel.

Capture1.JPG

I am not entirely certain what it is you are trying to do here. Do you want the pasted image to be in the Selection, or to replace it? Try this; move the nested Pasted image (the one which is highlighted in your layers panel) out to the top of the layers and turn off the other layers. The way things work for me is that if I copy something and paste it, the pasted image goes to the same location as it was copied from.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

14 hours ago, EJ Wright said:

Hello Old Bruce, that did not work for me. To answer your question, I want the copied image placed inside the selection.

I guessed that was what you wanted to do. Sadly I don't think that is possible without a lot of work. The easiest way is to use the pen tool and draw a shape over the cylinder (am I right in thinking that that is not a barbecue?) where you have your selection. Then paste what ever it is you wish to use as a replacement, this will give you a new layer, and use the move tool to move that over to the shape. Now clip the image with the shape as in the demonstration pic.

Drag the shape onto and to the right of the pasted layer.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

21 minutes ago, EJ Wright said:

Here is my work flow. Also that is a BBQ device called the Orion Cooker.

The big problem is that you and I both think that Paste Inside should paste the clipboard contents into the selection. But it doesn't, the clipboard is pasted inside the layer, and at the wrong place from my point of view or my expectations. I enclose a file which demonstrates how to use an object (a curve I drew with the Pen Tool) as a clipping mask. I then pasted a screenshot of the floral decoration and used the mask (with a small amount of gaussian blur which can be turned off to soften the edges).

BBQ.afphoto

I am frustrated by the whole pasting behaviour of the Affinity applications and wish that they would work the way I expect. 

Post Script: I now want an Orion Cooker. The neighbours would more than likely want some too.

Think you might have a niche market opportunity there Bruce, floral BBQ's

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I am glad you sorted this out. And thanks for the video I learned something from it.

• 8 months later...

I'm grateful to EJ Wright for this. It is another example of how the original help-file, while correct as far as it goes, is insufficient advice. The key point here is that the element pasted inside may be displaced out of sight and needs to be found and dragged to where it is needed. It would take a single sentence to make the official guidance effective.

• 1 year later...
On 3/5/2020 at 11:48 PM, EJ Wright said:

I finally got it sorted out with a tip from a user in Affinity Photo group on Face Book. The main thing I was missing is deselecting the selection after duplicating the section. It's in the attached video. 

Oh man thank you. I almost got mad with this. Let me just point out that your method won't work if you select a transparent area of the parent image: you'll first have to turn the background to white, close the image and re-open it. Then, select the white ares into where the child image will have to go. If it weren't for your hint, I wouldn't be able to find it out.

23 hours ago, Lisbon said:

Probably im missing something but I would do this in a different way.

Paste (Ctrl+V)

paste_a.jpg.46163ed5ea37f9b0d4a62b65f027d565.jpg

Add a mask and deselect (Ctrl+D)

paste_b.jpg.f9d55435ef4273f5d2238f232e865a38.jpg

Reposition the pasted content with the "Move tool" and "Lock children" active.

paste_c.jpg.b9c875127f8628c814eb163efa909afb.jpg

Yes, it works. The only difference is that EJ Wright and I were working on the main image, clipping out sections of it. You are masking them, so in my case I'd had to invert the mask to obtain what I was looking for (make a yellow background be visible through some letters - see the attached screenshot).

Thank you for your contribution :)

image.png.a459c38afeba8f6e8a966ee7037860e7.png