You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi 

Very weird thing, I'm using this font called "Rockness", and it displays perfectly fine in Adobe Suite yet when I try and type the same thing in Affinity I get this. Doesn't really matter what I type, the whole character mapping seems all over the place. Frustratingly I'm not having to go back to Adobe CS just to type out this line.

Any explanation appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2020-03-04 19.57.15.png

Screenshot 2020-03-04 20.10.27.png

Hi

Thanks. It’s OTF & on the Mac and I tried switching the obvious type characteristics, the weird thing is that it’s just that font . I just can’t see how/why Adobe renders it correctly when it even shows up oddly (like Affinity) in the font manager as well.

8 hours ago, Lagarto said:

Yes, odd. Do you mean that offset +1 is automatically added to glyph code when you change to All caps, or how is the "31 $" row produced? (I assume that you type "20 % off" but get this instead?) 

(Tried to post an .afpub file with text typed with the same font but for some reason attachments do not get through at the moment...)

oddrockfont.jpg.cc23f91257dfe0526a0e0c8bfa7dce4a.jpg

What happens if you open this one.

oddrockfont.afpub

Thanks - That is so weird, I downloaded your file and it doesn't look like that on my machine. How bizarre, what font management app are you using out of interest?

526097670_Screenshot2020-03-0518_07_45.thumb.png.b8bd423e2e2f44e531629ccbaf0134e8.png

Yes, very odd, I'm glad in a way it's NOT Affinity at fault, however I can't see why Adobe manages to render correctly irrespectively.

Thanks so much for that background colour tip, never knew about that!

Edited by Barrowman

3 hours ago, Lagarto said:

... But the erroneous behavior is definitely font-related and not caused by apps. Adobe just seems to have the necessary know-how to be able to use the font properly even if it has defects...

Gotta remember that Adobe applications do not use the font sub-system in either OS. Bypassing the OS font sub-system is both a blessing and (can be a) curse in Adobe applications.

If the font works in Windows and the exact same font doesn't work on the Mac no matter the application, that doesn't mean the font is in error (and it isn't gonna be related to the code pages in the font). More than likely the issue is related to the OS' handling of this very simple font. The creator string of the font was generated in FC 11.5, which as far as I know is a stable version of FC (I use it as well). There are a few double-mapped glyphs but do not believe these particular glyphs would cause the issue on the Mac (but I don't have one to try with).