You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.8 hanging on "add pages"

Hello,

I am having serious problems with Publisher 1.8 too.

It keeps hanging when I try to add new pages and I am forced to restart the computer

I am willing to reinstall 1.7.3 and have a question :

My work document, a 300 page book, is in 1.8 afpub format

How do I open 1.8 files with the 1.7.3 Publisher? There doesn't seem to be an option to "save as" with an older format in 1.8

I'd be thankful for an answer

Hello

I am having trouble using the new 1.8 version

I have a 300 page book project underway with about 20 linked images and about 20 tables.

When I try to add pages from the "pages" tool, it goes into a hang, nothing happens for sometimes 5-7 minutes while the RAM AP needs goes up and down from 2 to 10 Gbites with 85% CPU

The RAM sink hole becomes so huge that my PC has be rebooted by hard reset

Very, very bad for my files and PC

Sometimes it manages to get out of the problem and finally does the job (even adding a couple pages does this), sometimes it needs me to restart my PC or, at best, kill the app in my process manager

A friend has exactly the same problem with the trial version 1.8 and my own adpub project (an exact copy of mine) on a more powerful PC than mine

Please help !

Alternatively, I am considering rolling back to 1.7.3. Can you tell me how I could open 1.8 documents with the 1.7.3 stable version of Publisher?
OR save the current document under a previous version so that the 1.7.3 can open it?

I need your advice as soon as possible.

Thank you very much

Edited by KWENTINO

• Staff

@KWENTINO

Please can you use this thread going forward. I will let Jon answer your queries

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
39 minutes ago, KWENTINO said:

@Jon P I am sorry, this is a difficult thing to do because this is a confidential work that will be published in a few months

Would my work be protected?
Can you answer my questions before we go to this solution?

Yes, This is for tech support only and we will delete the file when we are finished testing.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello gentlemen,

When will I get an answer?

My book is due out shortly and I wish to know whether I should hope for a hotfix soon (within the next couple of days)

You still didn't answer my questions :

1) how can I save my 1.8 document into an older version that I could open with 1.7.3?

2) alternatively, how to open a 1.8 document with 1.7.3?

3) Will a massive copy-paste from 1.8 to 1.7.3 work and how could I make it fast?

Thank you for your time, please advise quickly !

• Staff

There is no straight forward way to do 1,2 or 3. 

I would suggest that you install the beta version (that is installed parallel to the release build), where improvement has been made regarding adding spreads to documents. The latest Publisher beta is available from the pinned post at the top of each beta forum.

That beta will be released as a hotfix when we solve 2 other problems (regarding fonts in PDFs in the MAS release and a crash on start on Windows 10 for many users). In the meantime I hope that the beta means that you can continue to use your file saved in 1.8 format.

I would say please make and keep backups of your important files, particularly before using a beta version.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd