You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

shadows not appearing on print-ready pdf

Any suggestions to get round this glitch? Drop shadow on the logo (to right of image) in Publisher, on the left the print-ready pdf.

I've tried this both as an outer shadow, and by placing a black circle as separate layer under the logo (55% multiply transparency). Have also tried various export options for the pdf. Strangely, this same logo on the second page of the document (copied and pasted) has exported to the pdf one time, and a different shape with the same effect exports with its drop shadow every time.

Is its overlap to an image file making the difference?

NB only downloaded the software yesterday, this was an idml file with linked eps images

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 13.37.40.png

Hi Kate, thanks for the file. 2 questions:

a) Why using a separate layer to create a drop shadow? You can click the emmaus logo and use the Outer Shadow effect. You reach this effect in the Layer Panel or some with additional options in the Effects panel.

b) I exported both pages, one with drop shadow, one with blur and both exported fine. So could you please make screenshots from your PDF export dialogue? Also screenshots from the option hiding under the More button.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Hi Joachim

I used the outer shadow effect first of all, and that did not show on the pdf. Using a separate layer for the drop shadow was an attempt to work-around the problem (which also didn't give the result I hoped for!).

I tried a few different pdf settings, starting with the print-ready and press-ready pre-sets, and modifying to take off registration marks etc.

I've just tried it again (using press-ready as a starting point)... this time I have the drop shadow on the page 1 but it's disappeared from page 2. This also happened the other day (one or the other, but not both); the dropshadow on the speech bubble (page 2) works every time though.

Screen shots of setting and the latest pdf uploaded

Thanks for this

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 13.36.03.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 13.37.46.png

Emmaus Bristol landlords leaflet March2020 3.pdf

Hi Lagarto, thanks for your post...

the offending items were rebuilt, with fresh imports (original eps checked too), and both a new effect (outer shadow) and then a separate layer (black transparent circle with blur)...

That's interesting, that's worked for me too.

I hadn't tried PDF/X-1a because one of the printers I often use warned me against using it (in jobs with transparencies). Bit if it works, I'm gonna use it!

It's still a weird glitch but I'm glad there's a solution. Many thanks for testing it

5 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Oops, sorry. X3 differs from X1 by allowing RGB. The PDF/X methods have been all new for me as I'm coming from Adobe culture and "old-school" where the minimum is wanted to be left to be resolved at "late stage".

No Worries!

And yes, late-binding is a preferable method that is, unfortunately, not possible in many applications outside of the Adobe world. Late-binding allows a single design file's pdf output to be re-purposed for different intents, different output devices. RGB images are then properly converted into the device's color profile using the best method / color matching without the need to recreate a pdf for a new/different output device.