You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashes on load

I'm having an issue on a document I tried to change from facing pages to single pages and got stuck in the conversion with 1.8. Everytime I try to open it, Apub closes. Previous to this I was able to work and edit it for at least two days. Btw, modification date is the one previous to the crash, so the file should not have been corrupted or anything.

Previous to Apub crashing with that single file, CPU peaks from 15 to 35-45 % and RAM never goes past 50-60 Mb. Opening Apub directly uses almost 400 Mb RAM and around 20 % CPU and importing a large pdf file with 600 pages and 10 high res images peaks CPU at 100 % and RAM at > 3 GB with no problem.

• Staff

Can you upload the file here and I'll see if it crashes on load for me, you might find if you have all linked resources in one folder if you rename the folder to break the links to them it means it can load.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

3 hours ago, Jon P said:

Can you upload the file here and I'll see if it crashes on load for me, you might find if you have all linked resources in one folder if you rename the folder to break the links to them it means it can load.

Renaming the pictures made it and I was able to load it, thank you very much. I tried copying the afpub file to another folder and it did nothing. But renaming the pictures worked!

Do you still want me to upload the file, pictures and its exports to pdf before I modify the pictures and export and reimport as tiff? This is the file I mentioned in this other thread and the resulting pdfs should have been both the same except for image quality.

• Staff

Please make a backup of the working file now.

You can if you want now relink to the renamed external filename and save the Publisher file. The problem should not recur in 1.8.1 (unless you edit the linked file, externally to Publisher again).  

Once we have a new 1.8.2 Publisher beta (hopefully this week) you should be able to go back to editing (external linked) images that are pointed to by your publisher file.

Sorry this regression slipped in right at the end of the beta.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
2 hours ago, adbosch said:

Will there be a 1.8.2 official (not beta) release? I prefer not to work in beta.

Yes there will probably this month, no firm date has been set as we want it as soon as possible

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

7 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Yes there will probably this month, no firm date has been set as we want it as soon as possible

Oh wow a month....Have a handful of large files I foolishly saved as 1.8. Guess they are frozen till there's another update :(.  I had to revert back to 1.7 so I could keep on working on the files I didn't save as 1.8 without jeopardizing them becoming corrupt.

21 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Please make a backup of the working file now.

You can if you want now relink to the renamed external filename and save the Publisher file. The problem should not recur in 1.8.1 (unless you edit the linked file, externally to Publisher again).  

Once we have a new 1.8.2 Publisher beta (hopefully this week) you should be able to go back to editing (external linked) images that are pointed to by your publisher file.

Sorry this regression slipped in right at the end of the beta.

Thanks. Knowing this I'll just relink the images last thing.

I have a similar problem — I was working on a (very) large file yesterday and it suddenly closed. Now I can't open the file. I can open other files, but as soon as I open that specific file, Publisher closes in a split second, no warning, no error. The main difference is that the images aren't linked, they are embedded. What can I do?

EDIT: I just noticed this is for Windows, and I'm on Mac. I'll post in the appropriate area.

Edited by CécileL

Tonight I have worked on a document and have changed a lot in it. I have saved my work but are not able to open the document anymore.

Like others above I am also experiencing a crash when trying to open the file again.
I can share the document with support if you want to use it for debugging.