You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I set up an A5 document?

I'm trying to set up an A5 document of 4 sides (portrait) so it can be printed onto A4. So the first side of design would be on the right hand side of one side of landscape A4 and the last would be on the left of this when printed. Then inside there would be 2 facing sides. 

I thought I'd done it right but when I make a PDF file to print it comes out wrong

So you would like to have on one side of the paper this order: page 4+1 and on the other side of the page this order; 2+3. After that you want to export as PDF and print as Duplex?

First of all you need Facing pages in the Document Setup.

1. Horizontal, Starting right: Make your layout straight from page 1 to 4. Duplex Print it directly on your printer with Model = Booklet. (if you need a PDF you can print to PDF using a PDF Printer from the printing dialogue)

2. Horizontal, Starting left: Page 4 is on the left of the spread, page 1 on the right of this spread. Next spread has page 2 left and page 3 right. Export the spreads as PDF and Duplex Print it from your PDF Reader.

If you want to send the PDF to an external printing service, exporting as single pages should / must work for them.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Thanks. Yes I think the issue was I had was when I went to export as PDF I had Preset: PDF for export rather than PDF for print selected. Now when it opens in Adobe reader it seems to  show correctly but prints with the first and last pages as full A4 ...

9 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

So you would like to have on one side of the paper this order: page 4+1 and on the other side of the page this order; 2+3. After that you want to export as PDF and print as Duplex?

First of all you need Facing pages in the Document Setup.

1. Horizontal, Starting right: Make your layout straight from page 1 to 4. Duplex Print it directly on your printer with Model = Booklet. (if you need a PDF you can print to PDF using a PDF Printer from the printing dialogue)

2. Horizontal, Starting left: Page 4 is on the left of the spread, page 1 on the right of this spread. Next spread has page 2 left and page 3 right. Export the spreads as PDF and Duplex Print it from your PDF Reader.

If you want to send the PDF to an external printing service, exporting as single pages should / must work for them.

So I am still having problems as when I export as PDF please can you show me a screen grab of the appropriate setup? I have attached the thumbnails of my doc setup for you info. So there's now 3 double page inside spreads along with front and back. A5 size required. It will go to a print shop as my printer not working

publisher doc setup.png

As I see, nothing is inside the bleed area - without having the document - I would personally recommend the settings in the attached images. Your print shop should print from that PDF a booklet.

export1.jpg

export2.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Thanks Joachim

The thing at fault was the All Pages was set to Spreads. Once this was set to pages then it came out as single pages which seemed wrong.  However as you state set printer dialog in Publisher to Booklet and then you  can preview it. Weird there's no print preview view in Adobe Reader.

I did get in touch with a graphic designer friend who said X-1a would be the safest format to save into.

Many thanks

J