You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Context toolbar not showing up in Separated mode

Hi, 

With the context toolbar enabled  View> Show Context tool,   the context toolbar appears in single viewing mode before going into separated mode and again when I come out of 

separated mode back to single viewing mode but the context toolbar is not showing up when I 'm in separated mode viewing.

Can you help fix this?

Thanks

GregCJ

Running a new iMac, catalina OS , 32 GB ram., Radeon pro 580

Just using a single monitor and have attempted View>Show Context Toolbar   while in separated mode but no luck in enabling /viewing the context toolbar while in separate mode.

I did discover a work around which temporarily works in enabling  the context toolbar viewing during separated mode  but this is not a permanent fix.

The fix is opening AP with the key board control button pressed which brings up a dialogue box to clear user data.. refer to screen shot.(control>restart.

This resets all the panels back to the default layout and eliminating my custom panel layout but enables the context toolbar.  By choosing this option because I want the context toolbar in the separate mode , I have to spend time in customizing the panel layout to my liking.

As mentioned I don't find this work around to be permanent  as  after opening and closing AP several times over several days,  the context toolbar does not show up in the separated mode.

Thanks for your help on this matter.

The first screen shot is single viewing with context toolbar enabled

the second is separated mode with no context toolbar

third is the clear user data 

forth is the result of clearing data with the context toolbar now showing up and default panel layouts and custom panel layout eliminated

single-viewing-custom_setup.thumb.png.0ce815b523a199db1a1b45bc59f77ba2.png

no_context_menu.thumb.png.742ea3e5810aff6197477e766a2623a5.png

1369490638_controlrestart.png.61ef79a29d928d6f417cfb70e130a6f3.png

reboot.thumb.jpg.b4b2628094346bd321ea8594400b0d27.jpg

• Staff

It looks as though at some point, the context toolbar is being pushed off your screen somehow. So even toggling the setting won't bring it back into focus if it is remembering its position off-screen.

The ctrl runup should fix it permanently until it is moved again but of course, this is not an ideal solution as it resets other things...

Are you using an external monitor? If so, how is it connected?

Thanks Chris B for your input, much appreciated!   I use a single monitor and as a digital painter I rely heavily on the separated mode and the context tool bar. --- changing brush parameters and modes. So it is highly unlikely that I move the context toolbar off the screen... hey but anything is possible .  So I will keep an attentive eye open while  using AP to what I am doing if and when the context toolbar doesn't appear again while in separated mode.  

You are probably aware that I'm not the only one experiencing this issue which ran through the 1.7 versions and sorry to say now showing up in 1.81 AP version.

Here is the thread about this very issue.

Thanks 

Greg CJ

I think I have found the problem...... using the keyboard shortcut "a" while in separated mode.

To start off with where everything is fine within  separated mode and the UI panels including the context toolbar are displayed ;

hitting the 'a" key  hides the panels....this is good...  but hitting the "a" a second time brings back

all the UI panels with the exception of the context toolbar which doesn't  come back...this is not good.. The context toolbar remains hidden.

Solution

Rather than having to close/open AP with control key selected and losing my custom panel arrangement, I found that if I go to the Mac display panel and choose

another resolution option eg. default .... I usually work in scaled resolution (for larger UI) that the context toolbar appears then and I just go back to the scaled resolution

and the context toolbar is there......It would be nice to have a very large font option in AP to choose from, though so that I could take advantage of the 5K monitor.

Your thoughts.

1274790180_ScreenShot2020-03-08at7_44_14PM.png.91c676d26374b6fd656bacdbbb4044f5.png

• 4 weeks later...

I just ran into this issue for the second time in Affinity Designer. I think it happened when I pressed the Tab key to move between the fields of the Transform panel, but the cursor wasn't in one of the fields, so the Tab key instead hid all the toolbars and panels. I pressed Tab again to bring them back, but a few moments later I noticed the toolbar was missing even though it was checked in the View menu. Selecting and unselecting it or pressing Command-Option-T did nothing to bring it back.

I reset all my preferences last time this happened, but I didn't want to do that again, so instead I opened the ~/Library/Preferences/com.seriflabs.affiniitydesigner.plist file, and the same file from yesterday's backup, and ran a diff. Through trial and error, I found that if I copied the contents of the ToolbarPanelLayout key from the backup, then opened Affinity Designer, the toolbar was back.

Chris B mentioned a fix in Affinity Designer -- is that the same bug I'm describing here? I was running version 1.8.1 when the toolbar disappeared, and updating to 1.8.3 didn't bring it back, but maybe now that I'm on 1.8.3 it won't disappear again.

If this is not the same bug, then hopefully my description helps address this additional problem.