You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm not sure I am posting this in the proper forum but Patrick Conner asked me to post samples of JPF files that were not opening properly in the "Questions" section of the forum.

He mentioned that JPF support was just added and might need tweaking.

To give some history of the issues I had before JPF was added in the past when I tried to open a JPF file using AP I would get an error that it was an unsupported file. To get around this problem I used another program called GIMP to open the RGB JPF files and converted them to TIF. I would then use AP to reopen and edit.

GIMP does not support LAB color so I had to use the MAC Preview App to open those particular JPFs and convert them to RGB. Then I would open those with GIMP to convert to TIF for editing with AP.

Now AP can open the files but they are not displaying correctly. If the JPF file is in RGB mode it will open with AP but the colors are shifted to the red and are over saturated. If I try to open a JPF that is in the LAB color mode the image is completely scrambled.

As per Patrick's request here are 2 screenshots to illustrate the problem.
I will also include the original JPF files so that you can use them to tweak the software.

Screen_Shot_2020-03-03_at_9_23.16_AM.jpg

Screen_Shot_2020-03-03_at_9_25.48_AM.jpg

GhostOfStanwix.jpf

Gilded_Flicker_Morning_Call.jpf

Just tried this file in XnViewMP and it looks like this.
1136491624_ScreenShot2020-03-03at21_33_50.png.06df24a61c351288ec9fadd64d6a1c59.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

My Gimp says it is an unknown colourspace

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

Never have opened a jpf file before...I didn't even know it was a thing.

This is how it opens in Photoline.

Capture_000517.png.41e2f5522b26abf37983f27701c2fda1.png

Cool image!

I can see that PhotoLine opened it as 16 bit LAB, which was the way it was originally encoded by Photoshop CS5.
Affinity Photo can't do that yet. Hopefully AP will be adjusted so that I don't have to use other programs to open these older files.

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Just tried this file in XnViewMP and it looks like this.
1136491624_ScreenShot2020-03-03at21_33_50.png.06df24a61c351288ec9fadd64d6a1c59.png

XnViewMP probably has trouble handling the LAB color mode for this image.
GIMP also cannot open a JPF in LAB color.
That is why I had to use Mac Preview to open it and then convert it to an RGB JPF. I then use GIMP to open it and save it as a TIF for editing in AP.

7 hours ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

That is why I had to use Mac Preview to open it

Yes, I tried with Photos and could open and edit the jpf file.

Out of curiosity why are you using a jpf file, is it a file that your camera produces? 

Am I the only one having no filter option for jpf files (Windows 10)? They open when I drag them onto the application icon, but there is no filter for jpf in the browse dialogue of AP.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

4 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Am I the only one having no filter option for jpf files (Windows 10)? They open when I drag them onto the application icon, but there is no filter for jpf in the browse dialogue of AP.

You're not alone.

You can also filter them manually, by putting *.jpf in the filename field and pressing enter, though. But if Affinity Photo has added JPF support it ought to show up as part of the JPEG2000 filtering, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Yes, I tried with Photos and could open and edit the jpf file.

Out of curiosity why are you using a jpf file, is it a file that your camera produces? 

To my knowledge no still camera uses the JPF format. My Nikon only produces NEF files at full resolution.
These files are very old, with some in my collection dating back to about 2007.
Back then I had very limited hard drive space on my computer and external HDs were very expensive at the time, so I was using the JPF format to save space since JPF supported the same color modes and bit depth as TIF yet was about half the size of a TIF because the compression algorithm was similar to a PNG.
The reason I did not use PNG was because PNG only supported RGB 16 bit and I used LAB color. Only TIF and JPF supported LAB color so I chose JPF to save HD space.
But now that HD space is larger and external HDs are cheaper than they were back in 2007 I wanted to convert my old JPFs to TIF for easier editing.

6 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

JPF does not show up on my AP "Open" dialog either.
But I am using a Mac. I am able to open JPF with AP by right clicking on the JPF file directly and in the Mac Finder dropdown menu it does give AP as a program capable of opening it.
If your Windows does not have that right click on the file option then that is a Windows issue.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You're not alone.

You can also filter them manually, by putting *.jpf in the filename field and pressing enter, though. But if Affinity Photo has added JPF support it ought to show up as part of the JPEG2000 filtering, I think.

As I mentioned in reply to another commenter I am able to open JPF with AP by right clicking on the JPF file directly and in the Mac Finder dropdown menu it does give AP as a program capable of opening it.
But AP does not show JPF in its own "Open" dropdown menu.
Since JPF support was just added for this version of AP maybe that is why Patrick Conner told me the software does need some tweaking.

15 minutes ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

If your Windows does not have that right click on the file option then that is a Windows issue.

Of course I can right-click-open-with. I assume that Serif just forgot to put in the filter list.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Just now, Joachim_L said:

Of course I can right-click-open-with. I assume that Serif just forgot to put in the filter list.

That is probably more plausible since I have not used Windows since 1995.

Patrick Conner told me to post about this because he said that AP may need some tweaking since the JPF support is a recent update for the program.
Until Serif fixes the color shifting and scrambled LAB color I will still have to use GIMP and Apple Preview App to convert my JPFs to TIF before using AP to edit them.