You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.8.1] Resizing document does not work as expected

I am using the French localisation of Affinity Publisher 1.8.1.

I find the following an unexpected behaviour:

- I select all pages of a document under the "Pages" panel

- I click Modify / Page configuration and change the format

- The format is only changed for the first selected page instead of all selected pages.

Many thanks,

LEB

• 4 months later...

Yes unfortunately, using 1.8.3 and with the French localization:

- In the top menu, I select Fichier [File] / Configuration de la plange [Page configuration] and change the format

- The format is only changed for the first selected page instead of all selected pages.

LEB

1 hour ago, LEB said:

- In the top menu, I select Fichier [File] / Configuration de la plange [Page configuration] and change the format

There should be no need to select all the pages in the Pages panel. Simply select "All Spreads" in the Spread Setup dialog:

image.png.e9f9630c063ac623fce7cd274677f340.png

The default of "Current Spread" is exactly that, the one current spread (as shown in the page navigator), not all the spreads you may have selected. For example, in the screenshot below, I have selected all the pages via the Page panel, but the "current spread" is "4,5 of 6", and that is the only one that would be affected if the "Current Spread" setting is chosen in the dialog.

image.png.95452f379037f6621624bd0f8aa54d59.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, LEB said:

Agreed but this is still a bug and the transformation should apply to all spreads using the sequence I indicated 😉

What makes you think so? Doesn't the menu "File" sound to be related to the entire file? Would you select pages in the Pages panel if you Save your document, to make sure these pages get saved? Or do you select pages in the pages panel if you want to print or export them?

However, APub also offers a way to use your way of page selection to set their page size. Therefore you would not use the menu "File"... but the context menu which pops up when you right click on one of the selected pages. The according menu and dialog window looks quite different than that under "File". The result affects only those pages which currently are selected in the pages panel.

1372440538_pagespanelspreadproperties1.jpg.20b714315d4bd37a82e0b55b0c8ec162.jpg

73960307_pagespanelspreadproperties2.jpg.a7c58cc77d0666655c8e31c0cc7b3ded.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

... nevertheless there is room for improvement in the dialog window "Spread Setup...":

If "Current Spread" is selected then the page / spread list to the right could highlight the "current" automatically, ...

626979305_spreadsetupcurrent.thumb.jpg.7a7abafc08f524fd5833451e9bac1815.jpg

... as it shows if "Selected Spreads" is chosen:

1905621150_spreadsetupselected.jpg.756cf453dc1f77ce671126ad6cedce01.jpg

... while in both cases the list doesn't yet auto-scroll, which increases the issue not to be noticed as what it is.
EDIT: in both cases the list gets auto-scrolled and makes the "current" page/spread appear in the visible list area.

Edited by thomaso

3 hours ago, LEB said:

Agreed but this is still a bug and the transformation should apply to all spreads using the sequence I indicated 😉

No, in my opinion it is simply a user error, not understanding how the dialog is supposed to work. (Sorry, and with respect.)

I agree with @thomaso, though, that the dialog could help point out what s happening if it highlighted more information.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, LEB said:

the "Spread Setup" dialog should default to "selected spreads" and not "current spread"

Note that also the option "Selected Spreads" does not reflect a custom selection in the Pages Panel but requires you to make the page selection in the list to the right.

Only the state of "current" is transferred to commands in the menu "File", e.g. for spread properties and for print and export, where also currently selected object(s) on a page gets transferred as "current" and are used for the print and export option "Selection".

> True, then (...) now is Affinity's turn…

I still don't see a bug here, and therefore no "Affinity's turn". – You have an UI with two different approaches to define page sizes, one of them has three options to choose a page range and opens its dialog window with one of them preselected. – So what? Why would "current spread" be a bug whereas "selected spreads" wouldn't? How about "All spreads", or without preselection, would they be bugs, too? So in your eyes the export dialog window is buggy as well cause it always opens with "All spreads" preselected? How do you understand "bug"? It seems you confuse it with "not my preferred way".

• Staff

I'm afraid there is no bug here. That's not how the File > Spread Setup dialog works: 

• Selected Spreads—Applies the setup to selected spreads within the document. Select the spreads you would like to include from the column on the right.

If you want to change the selected spread properties without the additional step, follow the advice thomaso gave you. 

On 7/4/2020 at 8:36 PM, thomaso said:

Therefore you would not use the menu "File"... but the context menu which pops up when you right click on one of the selected pages.

If you want this working in a different way or have a suggestion, please create a new post in the correct section: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/52-feature-requests-suggestions/