You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 1.8 – SmartObjects help

macOS Catalina, Photo 1.8.1

How does it work to edit PSD SmartObjects? I've been trying for hours, I can't get a view of the source file. Double click, double click + Alt …

If I double click on the layer as usual in PS, the layer is zoomed. Not the source, just the modified mask with all processed perspectives.

Double click + Alt zooms the content of the mask (without background), but unfortunately again not the source file. Short, it does not work, I cannot replace a modified, perspective distorted version.

Is there a detailed description how to edit SmartObjects, I can't find anything about it except two videos at YT.

I work in PS for many years dozens of purchased mockups; with photo I need a detailed explanation. And, what about the SmartObjects settings (General) in the preferences? I've tried everything, I can't do it. Need help!

3 hours ago, tersmuse said:

How does it work to edit PSD SmartObjects? I've been trying for hours, I can't get a view of the source file. Double click, double click + Alt …

First, make sure that you've enabled Smart Object support in Preferences, General. On Windows, the option looks like this:
image.png.1a9f1fc32279ab002d0b17859ea5e8a5.png

It is disabled by default, and you have to turn it on to use the function, before you open or import the PSD file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If it is not activated, the Smart Object is rasterized. If activated, the Smart Object is available in the Layers panel as an embedded object, and you can use Edit Document or double-click on the layer thumbnail to open it in its own tab for editing.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

My experience is that the Move tool needs to be activated in order for Double Clicking the layer to work (as well as for the Edit Document and Replace Document buttons to show up in the context toolbar).

It looks like the documents above have a transformation that is not supported by Affinity Photo, hence the strange result.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

• Staff

In Photoshop smart objects can (optionally) have layer effects that can do things like move or warp the smart object. Affinity Photo doesn't yet load these effects so the non-rasterised embedded document version will be missing those for now.

When these layer effects are supported we will reconsider having the option to load smart objects in PSD files ON by default.

I understand that you should be able to double click in the layers panel to edit a smart object.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

9 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

In Photoshop smart objects can (optionally) have layer effects that can do things like move or warp the smart object. Affinity Photo doesn't yet load these effects so the non-rasterised embedded document version will be missing those for now.

When these layer effects are supported we will reconsider having the option to load smart objects in PSD files ON by default.

I understand that you should be able to double click in the layers panel to edit a smart object.

Yes, I can edit the layer by double clicking on it with the Move tool. The result is unusable.

VqPsQm8.jpg

For info: It's a purchased mockup from Envato, no freeware from the web. In PS it works perfectly. I guess there's still some work to do ;)
Thanks for your time.

3 hours ago, All Media Lab said:

Was trying this one, but can't edit the text:

Stone_engraved_text_effect.zip 18.09 MB · 6 downloads

Make sure that you have both of the PSD-related options enabled in Preferences, General:

image.png.c149380b26dddd942dd456c771549c40.png

If you do that, then when you edit this layer (double-click with the Move Tool on the thumbnail, or click Edit Document in the Move Tool's Context toolbar) the text should be editable (and is, for me):
image.png.8818369b9c71db2e3b03f8a0068e31d8.png

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, All Media Lab said:

Thanks Walt! Editing  text works now. 

But it still doesn't look like it should. The text is grayed out in Affinity Photo and in Photoshop it looks like 

a engraved peace of rock/stone. 

I had a quick try with the file, no issues with changing the text, I noticed that the FX that had been applied did not translate from the PDF, maybe in a future version they will 

I don't think all the PSD layer effects are supported yet.

-- Walt
PC: