You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Banding / Posterization on 10 bit test ramp image

Getting pronounced banding when using Affinity Photo 1.8.1 (trial) to view a gray scale 10 bit test ramp image.

Same image displays smooth gradation, no banding, when viewed with OS X El Capitan's Preview app, which supports 10 bit depth.

Using OS X 10.11.6 on Mac Pro (Late 2013) with AMD FirePro D300 cards and a Dell UP2718Q monitor.

Wondering if Affinity Photo lacks 10 bit support for this platform or if it's just a configuration problem that prevents a smooth display of the image.

10_bit_test_ramp.psd

I was afraid that was the case.  Can only hope Affinity will take advantage of the 10 bit display capability soon.  I like the organization and ease of use of the app.  It would help to know if this capability is in the near future plans or not. But I see a related issue (the absence of a 32-bit floating-point display in the color sampler) raised back in November 2018 remains in limbo.  

Thanks for the info!

• 9 months later...
On 3/5/2020 at 6:58 AM, opie said:

I was afraid that was the case.  Can only hope Affinity will take advantage of the 10 bit display capability soon.  I like the organization and ease of use of the app.  It would help to know if this capability is in the near future plans or not. But I see a related issue (the absence of a 32-bit floating-point display in the color sampler) raised back in November 2018 remains in limbo.  

Thanks for the info!

I'd also love to see 16 bits per color rendered correctly on Mac.