You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

There is no need for a workaround. Make the text frame 2 columns, add a column break after the heading and in the right column goes the indented text. 

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I think what you have is the best solution. 

Heading <column break> Lots of text on the right in the second column of the two column text frame 

<new text frame, two columns and repeat with linking.>

Lots of fiddling of the text frames, you could set the Space Before in the heading to something large and that will give you a gap which may help visually. Just have it set for Between Paragraphs and that way the gap won't be present when it (the heading) is first paragraph in another text frame.

Use the grep (Regular Expressions) feature of the find and replace to look for the Heading Paragraph Style and the Paragraph return and replace it with the Paragraph return and a frame break.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, Clayton King said:

Developing a handbook and the owner wants the layout like above for every heading. I have to say this is a miserable, if cumbersome way to handle this kind of thing. 

That would drive me nuts, try this.

Untitled.afpub

I used a leading offset for the Headings, works if they are not too long or need to be two lines.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Untitled.afpub

I used a leading offset for the Headings, works if they are not too long or need to be two lines.

Oh. My. God. It's not perfect, but it's a whole big bunch better than all those stupid text frames... The editor will have to come up with a way to shorten the two line headings because this workaround is the best I've seen.

This is a perfect example of the need for zero-line feed (old Ventura) and spanned columns (InDesign)...LOL

Thanks so much for the suggestion.

On 8/9/2021 at 4:47 PM, Old Bruce said:

Untitled.afpub

Bruce, just curious... is there a way to avoid space before the paragraphs with leading offset such that they don't add space at the top of the page/frame? I creates a false top margin...

Clayton

image.png.87dee7e40ba1962dc5e5b4ef90c9da1a.png

25 minutes ago, Clayton King said:

Bruce, just curious... is there a way to avoid space before the paragraphs with leading offset such that they don't add space at the top of the page/frame? I creates a false top margin...

This should be possible but.... it would be far more work than I would want to do. You would have to make the Children's.... and the next paragraph We are required.... have an additional offset. So that would be two offsets for the first paragraphs in a frame we now have four paragraph styles.

I would just use the two and move the top of the frame up by whatever distance is needed.

You could also take a look at the inserted character Indent to Here. You'll have to set up an Initial words Character Style to take the place of the Heading Style and then the rest of the paragraph would be indented...

Different method.afpub