You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issues opening an Adobe Illustrator file to Affinity Designer

Welcome to the forum Neil, what should the image look like, so we have a comparison?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

If you have Adobe Illustrator you could open it and export as a PDF that might work better.

If you don't have Adobe Illustrator, I have Adobe Illustrator so if you want to upload the ai file that would help and I can export it to PDF for you.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The reason for the clipping of the image is because the artboard in illustrator is smaller than the complete image so affinity designer clips the image to the artboard, pressing the backslash key '\' will reveal the rest of the artwork.

The Artwork in Illustrator is a mess of bits just like it imports into Affinity Designer, the bits that should be yellow are missing from the import, converting to PDF has no benefit. It's like the they divided everything when it was not necessary to do so, there is no organisation of the artwork, so the character isn't in a group and the graffiti isn't grouped. I'm not sure why anybody would make this artwork like this.

As for Affinity Designer importing this artwork I'd say it's probably more to do with the Ai file but a bit to do with how Affinity Designer imports.

Ok found the reason for the missing parts.

It's because of the artboard dimensions, once I used Fit artboard to selected artwork in Adobe Illustrator and exported it I could import the artwork into Affinity Designer complete.

Try this: ZTH_FINAL expanded artboard.ai

Also had a go at tidying the layers 😊

1073106479_ScreenShot2020-03-03at08_21_39.png.e45a3ce7953fb5b13fae8be1b8ed99cb.png

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Also had a go at tidying the layers 😊

@firstdefence I have to admire your dedication in organizing that mess! 😂

I was wondering if it had something to do with the artboard size after I essentially unclipped everthing and was able to see most of the artwork. But some yellow bits were missing, which had me stumped. Did resizing the artboard resolve all of that? 

BTW your improve file works equally as well in Affinity Designer for iPad. 👍

EF3243D9-10F6-4203-8BC4-D6CE80B1B31A.png

2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Did resizing the artboard resolve all of that? 

Resizing the artboard; well making the document fit to the artwork in Adobe Illustrator actually solved the issue, the document didn't actually have an artboard per se but after doing that and saving the document as an Ai file again it imported into Affinity Designer correctly.

There are a few anomalies one is the odd mess at the top of the document on the graffiti where the chainlink appears to be misaligned but that is present in the Adobe Illustrator file as well and is not a consequence of the import into Affinity Designer. The other is the offset of the pink edging and pink internals which look like they were offset when the artwork was; I assume, divided. resulting in pink strips. The little fella seems relatively unscathed but I think the Graffiti should be reworked.

340460470_ScreenShot2020-03-03at17_15_29.png.8ffd9024596db6fa1f9f77aaa3841b73.png