You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

List of tools for beginners

I am an 82 year old novice at photo editing (other than iPhoto and Photos editing). I see a significant learning curve ahead of me. The tutorials so far are excellent albeit a bit fast and difficult to follow the curser; the voice timbre, accent and clarity are excellent for me as I have severe hearing disability.

Could you list all the tools and describe their function in short paragraphs?

I itent to develop my macro skills and I wonder if you will cater for stacking?

Meantime I'm very impressed with the app and the support you give.

Alan 

• Staff

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the voiceover compliment!

Regarding information on the tools, have you tried accessing the help documentation? If you go to Help then Affinity Photo Help on the top toolbar, you'll open up the documentation.

From the left hand table of contents, you can then go into Workspace - Tools and then pick a subcategory (e.g. Text Tools, Selection Tools). You'll find a topic on each tool available in the software.

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• 6 years later...

I agree with Butterfly. Please just a simple description in list form would help to become familiar with the tools and in understanding the tutorials. Some of the older users have vision challenges and can’t process things like we used to. Very weak response. Maybe that’s why you got a lower rating than AI freebee. 

8 hours ago, .Gina said:

I agree with Butterfly. Please just a simple description in list form would help to become familiar with the tools and in understanding the tutorials. Some of the older users have vision challenges and can’t process things like we used to. Very weak response. Maybe that’s why you got a lower rating than AI freebee. 

Hello @.Gina, and welcome to the forums.

I have much sympathy with Butterfly in that I much prefer text/images as a means of tutorial delivery. I have just had my 79th birthday but my eyesight and hearing is still reasonable. However, I do find the visual information in many (not all) tutorials skips by. Locating the cursor is often the problem.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

10 hours ago, .Gina said:

Please just a simple description in list form would help to become familiar with the tools and in understanding the tutorials.

Have you tried the list in the Contents section of the built-in Help, or online at https://affinity.help.

Here's that list for Photo, and each entry can be expanded for more details:

Help-tools-photo.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

PDF versions available at bottom of my post.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/