You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Serif, please do let us know when do you intend to have a fix for 1.80 bug? There are several files  that are now "locked" out  as those are touched by the 1.80. We can wait week or two, but month would cause serious problems (effectively I'd need to redo changes based on some older version).

• Staff

We're working on fixing this issue as soon as possible and we've already made major strides in this direction in our latest beta.

I can understand your trepidation to use these, however if you have documents you need to access as soon as possible this will be the quickest route to achieve this, as you can still have 1.7.3 retail install alongside the beta version.

Unfortunately I can't provide an eta for when these fixes will be released in a retail build, but please do know we're working hard to set things right as soon as possible.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks Dan, update is most welcome. Indeed, I will wait and complete the other files. We have three files that are "locked" now, but we can wait with those about 2-3 weeks file completing other files.

Every software has bugs - it is to be expected. Good companies (like Serif) admit mistakes and fix their bugs (unlike Adobe). We will stick with Affinity - you've made great tools. Don't feel let down with a bug - it was the first we've seen so far.

• 2 weeks later...

So.

I tried it anyway but unfortunately with no joy.

The same problems seem to still be apparent in 1.8.2 :(. So I've gone back to 1.7.3 again.

I realise work is probably not currently progressing at the same pace in our strange situation, but please can somebody let us know when it has been resolved.

We have a lot of work locked up in inaccessible files.

Cheers,

Tony

• Staff

Thanks for trying this build Tony and I'm sorry to hear it. Were any crash reports generated with these files in the latest build?

Our developers are doing their best to resolve issues as quickly as possible, however I am yet to replicate the issue you've been having and thus far you've been unable to provide me with a crash report, which makes finding/fixing this issue close to impossible.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan,

Now here's the thing. I tried this the day before yesterday and got the expected crash. (Like a doofus I completely forgot to check the crash log).
I then uninstalled and went back to 1.7.3.
Just now, I have done another update to !.8.2 in order to try to generate a crash log, and, of course, the bugger seems to be working just fine now!😕
So... I don't know why it now seems to be okay, or why I got the crash on Monday.
I guess I need my mate Timo to update again and experiment.

If we get any firther problems we'll send crash reports.

Cheers,

Tony

• Staff

Hi Tony, that's very odd behaviour indeed!

Please do keep me updated as required, although I'm hoping this issue has self-resolved and you'll be able to continue using 1.8.2 :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 years later...

And here we are again. New version, this time 10.6 and it creates exactly same kind of problems as all previous versions when new update notification appears. All files that used to work flawlessly start to mysteriously crash on load. 

For a long time 10.5 worked nicely. And now, all the files that I have done within last months are crashing on load. How really, really nice. It happens like a clockwork with the new versions - and this time despite the fact that I earlier on turned (with RegEdit) the update notification off. And it was off for a while, but no longer it seems. 

This is truly annoying. What can I do? I can't redo all the files when ever you create new version of Publisher. This truly isn't the first time it has happened. 

• Staff
12 hours ago, multis said:

All files that used to work flawlessly start to mysteriously crash on load. 

I'm certainly sorry to hear this - as we aren't receiving reports from other users regarding this since releasing V1.10.6 so it may be machine specific.

Are you able to attach a copy of a file that crashes on load, and a copy of a crash report (if one is generated) when the app crashes?

Have you recently updated your GPU drivers? If not, I'd recommend ensuring you have the latest version, directly from the manufacturers website.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

After updating to 1.10.6 no crashes. *knocking wood*

I was saying that it started to crash 1.10.5 which was stable or relatively so, until the "new version is available" appeared and THEN 1.10.5 did start crashing. This has been ongoing case on all of your updates for a long while. It is really a bummer, if every time you release a new version your "new version notification" breaks the existing software to smithereens. Keep in mind that this behaviour has been tested to work every time, like a clockwork, if the old version sees new and the regedit is not applied. I have no idea why 1.10.6 did actually get the notification (eg. have you changed the regedit key?) or what did cause that to appear as for a long while I have been blissfully not seeing such annoying notices and thus my software has been stable.

You'll find these notes from older bug report, but just to recap: If I take network cable away, my old Affinity works like a charm EVEN if there is new version existing. Publisher also immediately starts to crash on most files if I put the network cable back and the update notification finds a new version. So, yes, it has been proven quite diligently that the update checking thingy is buggy and something I'd very much want to entirely avoid. Thus, what is the new magic regedit key I need to edit in order to get rid of the new version notification?

• Staff
18 hours ago, multis said:

After updating to 1.10.6 no crashes. *knocking wood*

Thanks for letting me know, I certainly hope this continues to be the case!

18 hours ago, multis said:

You'll find these notes from older bug report, but just to recap: If I take network cable away, my old Affinity works like a charm EVEN if there is new version existing. Publisher also immediately starts to crash on most files if I put the network cable back and the update notification finds a new version. So, yes, it has been proven quite diligently that the update checking thingy is buggy and something I'd very much want to entirely avoid.

Although this may be replicable on your machine, it isn't an issue that has ever affected installations of the Affinity apps for the Affinity team, and I regularly run older versions on multiple different machines, which inform me an update is available on launch, without issue.
I also have not seen any similar reports of this from other users, as you could imagine our team would be quickly made aware if this issue affected all 2 million + Affinity users each time we released an update.

We do not recommend editing any reg keys for Affinity, nor (as far as I'm aware) have any of the reg keys changed for the app between 1.10.5 and 1.10.6 that would change when the update notification dialog is shown.

1.10.6 is the latest version, and therefore the 'New version available' dialog will not show, unless we release a future V1 patch - which our team have confirmed we will endeavour to fix any critical issues which may be caused by operating system updates for as long as is reasonable to do so, but have no further V1 feature patches planned.

Therefore, for the time being, with no future V1 updates planned, this notification should not appear again, except for the above situation.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Well. It crashed far less frequently now that update is done. OUr whole team is now at 1.10.6 (most Windows users, some mac users) and frequence of crashes is not that bad. 

But. There is one new problem. On normal printing resolution of 600 dpi with the settings we've used since we changed to Publisher the PDF Export that used to take 20-30 sec now takes 10-15 minutes. Considering that it is just one A3 spread, one sided, this is really not what you'd expect - and like I mentioned it used to be some seconds depending on machine.

My workstation is rather okay Ryzen 5600X, 64G RAM and W10 x64. It hasn't changed since last version which did this in seconds. 
So. What HAS changed in PDF export? I have point out that should I choose 300 dpi it STILL is seconds.

15 minutes per PDF export is truly excessive and rather debilitating. Ideas?

• Staff

Thanks for updating us here, though I'm sorry to hear of this new issue.

I'm going to need some sample files to test further - are you able to provide a copy of your .afpub, and screenshots of your export settings to the below link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/2YjkOAdIEwHj3yrsPC0p

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

Many thanks!