You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LIQUIFY brush size shortcut

• Staff

Hi Conde,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The default shortcuts are "[" and "]" however those keys are not directly accessible on a German keyboard layout. Go to Affinity Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section, select Photo for the first dropdown and Paint Brush Tool for the second and select the keys you want there. As long as Apply to all checkbox is ticked these changes will be used for all brush based tools including for Liquify Persona. Personally i have set them to F5 and F6 since i also don't have direct access to "[" and "]" keys on my keyboard layout.

Thanks for your quick reply.

The ä and # keys are set by default (as in Photoshop). But it doesn't work. Only after entering the characters ä and # does it work in Liquify. After closing and reopening Photo everything is gone again. Saving and reloading the default sets does not work either. The characters ä and # must be re-entered.

• 2 years later...

Im unable to assign a shortcut for brush size in Liquify Persona. Even checking "Apply to all" as suggested.

On Windows, I can't assign a shortcut but the default keys work pretty well:
Ctrl + Alt + Drag_Mouse_Left/Right = Increase/Decrease brush size
Ctrl + Alt + Drag_Mouse_Up/Down = Increase/Decrease brush hardness

Not my shortcuts but someone's shortcuts. Close enough 😀

• 2 months later...

I believe that, by design, because it works differently to the ‘normal’ brushes (there is only one Liquify brush), the Liquify brush is handled separately from the ‘normal’ brushes and so the Preferences settings that apply to ‘normal’ brushes don’t also apply to the Liquify brush.

The default “[“ and “]” brush size modifier keys should still work for most people unless they are in the situation as described above or similar, e.g. German keyboard layout.

On Windows, I don’t know about Mac or iPad, you can also use the F2 and F4 buttons to resize the brush, although I’ve not been able to find out where these are set so they may be ‘hard-coded’ into the software.

Hi GarryP, thanks for replying; I didn't know about the F2 and F4 shortcuts, they work indeed, are they documented?

BTW, on Italian keyboard [] don't work as well, and regarding the technical difference of the Liquify and Photo personas, I'd expect the ability to extend the shortcuts to them also or, as an alternate option, to be able to explicitly redefine the shortcuts for the Liquify tools, even if separately from the Photo tools.

Regarding user experience, as it is now is a bit ugly in my opinion...

- Mario