You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It happens in all applications. Make two lines like in the attached image, select them with the Node tools and use Join Curves button. The connection is always made on the left side, even when I select them on the right side. So I have to flip the element, which is an unneccessary step in my use case right now. Bug? Expected?

join-curves.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I think this is known about and relates to the nodes being vertically parallel, rotating the lines will make the curves behave as you would expect, so selecting both right hand nodes will connect them.

885925605_ScreenShot2020-03-02at08_08_12.png.1aad575cae72c002e6ef0d334d6d2f21.png

A workaround, is to select the right hand nodes, and click the reverse button before you click the join button.

380528097_Reverseandjoin.gif.bbd45c491dfa7596cca10272ad2b930c.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

AFAIK, Join Curves does now & has always ignored which if any nodes are selected & instead joins the curves at their nearest adjacent points, regardless of if that is at their start or end nodes.

When the distance between each pair of start or end nodes is identical, I am not sure how it worked prior to the 1.8 versions, but now in 1.8.x on my Mac, reversing the direction of one of the curves has no consistent effect on which points will be joined -- it could any pairs, the topmost, bottommost, leftmost, or rightmost ones. If there is any program logic that determines which ones will be connected, I can't see it.

However, when the distances are identical, reversing the direction of both of the curves also reverses which points will be joined.

2 lines.afdesign is the file I have been testing with. I am curious to see if others get the same of different results when using the various combinations of reversing & joining them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think you're right R C-R, selecting nodes prior to joining seems to make no difference to which nodes are joined.

So the results of joining those two lines on your test file in different orientations is :-
Top line red node on left, bottom line red node on right = Joins left side
Top line red node on right, bottom line red node on right = Joins left side

Top line red node on right, bottom line red node on left = Joins right side
Top line red node on left, bottom line red node on left = Joins right side

I'm on Win10 version 1.8

20 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I think you're right R C-R, selecting nodes prior to joining seems to make no difference to which nodes are joined.

Joining the selected nodes would be much better & it is certainly reasonable to assume that is what it does, but to be fair the feature is named "Join Curves" not "Join Nodes," so it does do what the name says it does, just not what we would like it to do. 😠

One of the things that makes the current 'join nearest points' behavior much less obvious than it might otherwise be is that if 2 perfectly parallel & visually aligned lines differ in length by even the tiniest fraction of a pixel, then one pair of points will always be the nearest ones that are joined, whether or not either or both curves are reversed.

So for example, in my 2 line file with the top right node selected with the Node Tool, in the Transform panel try setting its X position to 415.001 px. That makes it very slightly farther away from the nearest end of the other curve, so not matter what you do, it is the left ends that always will be joined.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7