You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello all, 

Something I have noticed throughout all three applications... 

When I use Indesign, I replace a word in a sentence and it replaces that word with the same font style etc in the box. 

If I do it in publisher, I loose the text formatting for the word in the box. I then have to replace the new word font with the current font in the sentence. 

if I do it in photo and designer the same thing happens.

If I lay out an entire magazine, and have to change a single word in a paragraph, it should automatically replace the work when I paste it in, with the same font and formatting style that was in place. 

It should not replace the word in the text box with a random font.. 

Am I the only on that seems to find this strange.... Or have I missed a setting or a check box that stops this from happening in all three applications... 

What the applications do with existing text formatting depends on how you formatted the text in the first place, how you replace the text, and what you replace it with.
Would you be able to give a specific example of the issue, preferably with a document we can examine?

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

What the applications do with existing text formatting depends on how you formatted the text in the first place, how you replace the text, and what you replace it with.
Would you be able to give a specific example of the issue, preferably with a document we can examine?

I have attached a file for you to try... 

The fonts are times roman... 

If you copy any text from this post, and use it replace any of the sentences with in the columns it will replace it with aerial or a font ?Roboto-Regular. Depends where you copy the font from. 

This changes the style, formatting, of the text. 

When I use indesign for magazine creation, and I do 20 magazines a year among other projects. I can copy any text, from any application and replace a word, sentence or pagraph in a indesign and it uses the exact text within that text box. It does not change the font, style, or formatting. 

Untitled.afpub

The default paste function for text is RTF, if you go to edit >paste special and select unicode it retains the destination formatting, I would like a paste special in the right click menu to help with this

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

43 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

The default paste function for text is RTF, if you go to edit >paste special and select unicode it retains the destination formatting, I would like a paste special in the right click menu to help with this

No, that just tries to paste the text with the copied style... 

35 minutes ago, MickRose said:

Have you tried "Edit/Paste without formatting"? It works here.

This works for me too... I might need to change the default paste short cuts... Seems to be the only work around at the moment Gah... I really want to take the leap and leave ADOBE

I’ve just copied a line of text from this forum and pasted it (just normal paste) into the given document and it worked just fine.
I tried selecting a paragraph and pasting and that worked okay.
I tried selecting a word and pasting and that worked okay.
I tried pasting without anything selected and that worked fine too.
I tried all of the above but with text from a text editor TXT file and that was okay too.

Copying text from an RTF document brought the formatting over from the original when using normal pasting.
Doing the same thing but pasting-special as Unicode text got me the text formatted properly except for where I had bold and italic variants (which were removed).

I haven’t tested it myself but I think if you use a word processing document with styles you should be able to paste without problem into Publisher if the same styles are set-up there too.

I don’t do a lot of copy/paste into Publisher but when I do, it’s usually plain text which I want to format using Publisher’s tools. I just find that’s easier for me but I understand that’s not good enough for some people.