You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.8 crashes

JRH

Purchased 1.7 last fall and just installed free 1.8 update.  Ready to begin new project but first tried to open a file saved last spring when using beta, wanting to use it as a template for the new project. Pub 1.8 thought about it for about 30 seconds then totally crashed back to my Windows desktop. Tried a couple of the workarounds suggested here but none worked. Uninstalled 1.8.   Reinstalled 1.7 and am able to open the file last saved under beta. For now I'll pass on 1.8 and stay tuned for word that the 1.8 version is as robust and bullet proof as it should have been when released last week.

Hi, I agree, Version 1.8 is not as robust as it should be. When entering text in Publisher the program crashes each and every time I hit the Space bar - not much use for a text publisher. I think I'm going to have to uninstall that version and go back to Version 1.7 until the new one is ready. But how do I do that?

• Staff

Hi @JRH,

Any chance you can upload the file that was causing you issues here?

@rongittings We've heard of this issue and resetting the software has fixed it for a few customers, I'd like to get your settings to see if I can reproduce the issue first. Do you mind navigating to %appData%\Affinity\Publisher and zipping the 1.0 folder and attaching it to this forum? After that if you rename that folder to 1.0 backup and run up the app does that solve your issue?

@graphicbreeze The delay moving/adding pages in certain documents is something we are aware of and are looking into, is your document large with a lot of flowing text?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi, Jon P!
Can I also send you a file (1912181 Werbefolder.afpub) via the dropbox link?
I have created a small flyer with Publisher 1.7. With it you can open the file without any problems. But with Publisher 1.8. the program crashes immediately. I have the problem both on a Windows PC with a normal installation file and on a laptop with the installation from the Microsoft Store.

I assume that you will handle my data confidentially and delete it afterwards.
I would appreciate a quick solution of the problem, thank you!
Greetings Leo

• Staff

That file opens fine for me, which suggests it is an issue with loading modified linked resources that we are aware of. We should be releasing a beta soon that contains a fix for this issue (subject to testing)

If you want to work on it before then you will need to break the links to the resources in your file, alot seem to be contained on the #Kunden folder in your Z drive, if you rename this folder it should break most links and allow the file to be opened, then you can re-link them and carry on from there.

Apologies for the inconvenience

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

On 3/5/2020 at 10:07 AM, Jon P said:

Hi @JRH,

Any chance you can upload the file that was causing you issues here?

@rongittings We've heard of this issue and resetting the software has fixed it for a few customers, I'd like to get your settings to see if I can reproduce the issue first. Do you mind navigating to %appData%\Affinity\Publisher and zipping the 1.0 folder and attaching it to this forum? After that if you rename that folder to 1.0 backup and run up the app does that solve your issue?

@graphicbreeze The delay moving/adding pages in certain documents is something we are aware of and are looking into, is your document large with a lot of flowing text?

large yes but no text flows at all . Every document I use is slow like this doesnt matter if it's a 4 pg or a 100 pg document. With or without text flow.  Id really hate to have to become a hostage of adobe again but that may be my only option

I have the same installation problems with publisher 1.8 and photo and designer 1.8, they open once in ten and then they close. With a big font bug.
Could I be warned for the release of a patch for 1.8

J'ai les mêmes problèmes d'installation publisher 1.8 et photo et designer 1.8, ils s'ouvrent une fois sur dix et après ils se ferment. Avec un gros bug des fonts.
Est ce que je pourrais être prévenu pour la sortie d'un patch pour 1.8

Best regards

Jean-Marc Perfetti