You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.8 has begun crashing when opening some documents - UPDATED

I've been creating a photography book for about three weeks. The document elements are basic: text and imported/linked JPEGs. I started with 1.7.3 and continued with 1.8 as of the day it was released. No problems until yesterday morning. The project consists of two Publisher documents: 1) Cover (500K) and 2) Pages (700MB). The book has gone through a number of revisions and I've kept earlier versions of both documents. The issue I'm reporting began occurring yesterday morning as I was doing final edits: Publisher began crashing (I see the UI for a split second before Publisher closes) on the 'Pages' documents (current and previous versions) only. All of the 'Cover' documents (current and previous versions) open. I had been fine tuning the most recent 'Pages' document, updating a few photographs, saving, exporting a PDF to verify, with no issues. The 'Pages' documents crash began occurring when I went back to do some final edits on the latest 'Pages' version which I had been working on and had closed subsequent to exporting a PDF.

To reiterate: Publisher crashes when I try to open any of the 'Pages' documents, so the issue is not related to the most recent 'Pages' document I was working on, but loads and opens all of the 'Cover documents'. Also, If I load Publisher, open a 'Cover' document, then try to open any of the 'Pages' documents, Publisher crashes. I re-booted twice with no effect. I'm using a Windows 10 PC laptop on which Publisher has been running smoothly and without issue beyond an occasional 'not responding' which clears after a few seconds. I submitted a crash report the first time the crash occurred but did not include my email address as I did not know I could do so at the time. I tried re-installing 1.8 over the existing installation with no effect.

UPDATE:

24 hours later I just tried uninstalling 1.8, rebooting, then installing 1.7.3. 1.7.3 would not open any of my documents since they 'use features from 1.8' or words to that effect. I then uninstalled 1.7.3, rebooted, then installed 1.8 again and am back to where I was yesterday as per above. Is there anything else I can do to move ahead with the book project which I need to send out to get printed.

Thank you in advance.

Try this as it was the only thing that worked for me

1) reinstall 1.8

2) open a new file

3) with new file open try to open the file that keeps on crashing

4) if successful and it opens immediately save as a PDF

5) uninstall 1.8 and delete it from the registry

6) reinstall 1.7

7) open pdf in 1.7

8 )save as publisher file

9) stay away from 1.8 till this massive bug is addressed

Hopefully this helps you get your file running

My issues with crashes (on Windows 10) in 1.8 seem to have been cured by simply copying a Publisher file to another location and double-clicking on it. I have not uninstalled/reinstalled and do not use any third-party font thingies. No major niggles so far. 20-page magazine in A5. StudioLink also works.

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

Thank you both for responding! @graphicbreeze--your steps 1-4 worked to get my 'Pages' file to the point where I exported a PDF and can now send to print! @NilsFinken--I'll try your solution as well. Will also roll back to 1.7.3 as per above.

Cheers!

17 hours ago, NilsFinken said:

My issues with crashes (on Windows 10) in 1.8 seem to have been cured by simply copying a Publisher file to another location and double-clicking on it. I have not uninstalled/reinstalled and do not use any third-party font thingies. No major niggles so far. 20-page magazine in A5. StudioLink also works.

Unluckily to me, this fix doesn't work with a 120 page with illustrations after I tried to change document from facing pages to single pages.

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed reply. We are still catching up with the Publisher tickets and we've had an influx of new customers since we went into lockdown.

Can you still replicate this in the latest version?