You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export PDF-X4 and Printing doesn't give consistant results

Hi Affinity Team,

had my updates on the complete studio these days, very nice, thank you ! This brought me back to former issues and testing if they're resolved. And yes, they are. But not all the time.

I did several tests with my manga-dummy, exporting to PDF/X-4 with extended Features and not. Most of the time when exporting with extended Features enabled, the export resulting PDF was showing an alpha-mask (black or withe) instead of the picture with transparency. I tried that with different image formats aff, psd, tiff, png and pdf, but with no changes.

When exporting to PDF/X-4 WITHOUT extended Features , I had a correct transparency with the birdonbranch in the PDF, as well when printing from Acrobat (right page).
Opening that PDF in Designer and print gives me the the same results as direct printing from Publisher, with some alpha-quirks (left page).

Hmm, I thought that the problem was gone, and direct printing was greatly improved in the previous updates ? Text quality was much better, and the alpha ghosting was gone. So I made some much more tests (replacing the pictures, rebuilding the document from scratch with checking every detail to be exactly the same). And the results varied.

20_03_01_export-wo-ext-feat-x4-print-designer-acrobat.thumb.jpg.b11b70c5351d1be3f2d758fba46f0807.jpg

Long story short: I was able to reproduce a match and a fail from the same document with the same export settings. I Made a short vid of it, here it is …

In my Dropbox you'll find the files as well as a higher res vid, https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqj07qe7qwjj749/20_03_01_afpub-export-transp-issue.zip?dl=0

regards, Marcus

Affinity Suite since 1.7, now on 2.4.0 – I love it !
iMac i9, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Affinity Team,

thanks for Affinity Publisher Customer Beta - 1.8.2.619, which apparently resolves the problem I described (I did some more tests, all good).  Stay stable and healthy, thanks again!

Beta - 1.8.2.619 solved the issue

Affinity Suite since 1.7, now on 2.4.0 – I love it !
iMac i9, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1