You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I tried to dodge and burn on a 50% grey layer set to "screen" or "soft light" as I use to do in Psd.

Unfortunately that doesn't work. I'm only able to dodge and burn on the layer with the pixel information.

That's a big disadvantage.

Any ideas? 

Thanks

Norman

I usually do this in overlay in PS.  I've just tried it in AP and I can't find a way to set the brush colour when I have the fill layer selected.  When the fill layer is selected the colour panel doesn't seem to affect the colour of the brush tool.  Painting just seems to change the layer's opacity.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this?

I usually do this in overlay in PS.  I've just tried it in AP and I can't find a way to set the brush colour when I have the fill layer selected.  When the fill layer is selected the colour panel doesn't seem to affect the colour of the brush tool.  Painting just seems to change the layer's opacity.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this?

I tried to paint in white and black with about 2-5% opacity on a 50% grey layer set to screen.

This gives kind of a dodge and burn, but it is not as good as in PSD.

I hope that working with grey layers will soon be possible in AP.

In the moment it is the biggest disadvantage for me, as dodge & burn is widely used for my photos.

Dodging an burning directly on a copy of the original layer doesn't work very good in AP (which is the same in PSD), so I hope they update soon as I want to completely switch over to AP as soon as possible.

I just tried it the way I normally do it in PS and I got it to work.  You can't use a fill layer as I tried.  I created a new, empty layer and used the paint bucket to fill it with 50% grey.  I then switched the blend mode to overlay and it worked as expected.  Painting in black with low opacity will burn and painting in white will dodge.

I hope this is useful to you.

I just tried it the way I normally do it in PS and I got it to work.  You can't use a fill layer as I tried.  I created a new, empty layer and used the paint bucket to fill it with 50% grey.  I then switched the blend mode to overlay and it worked as expected.  Painting in black with low opacity will burn and painting in white will dodge.

I hope this is useful to you.

This also works with a 50% grey layer. But why is it not possible to work with the dodge and burn tool on the grey layer? Dodging and burning with white and black doesn't give me the decent results I'm used to.

Affinity should work on this first, as dodge & burn in my eyes is the most important tool for retouching. Much more important than frequency separation or any other procedure.

I suppose it depends on your workflow. Dodge and burn are two tools that I never use. I was taught to always use the paint brush because it's so simple to remove an adjustment - you just paint in 50% grey and you're back to the original.