You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Viveza causing Affinity Photo to crash.

ipb

Hello, I am running Affinity Photo 1.8.1 on an iMac with OS Catalina version 10.15.3 and I have installed a free 30 day trial version (not the Google free version) of NIK collection 2.5.0 . Yesterday I opened the Viveza plugin via the filters menu in Affinity photo and edited an image. This worked successfully and I exported the the image and closed it. I then opened another image but when I opened Viveza, Affinity Photo immediately crashed. I tried re-opening the original (unedited) version of the first image but again opening Viveza caused Affinity Photo to crash. I tried with several other images, all with the same result. I then opened some of the images in DxO PhotoLab 2 (which comes bundled with the NIK collection) and edited them successfully in Viveza. This morning I decide to try again with exactly the same results i.e the first image edited ok in Viveza and Affinity Photo crashed every time thereafter. Has anyone any ideas how I can resolve this please?

I have just tried this on my Windows PC, with a freshly-downloaded Nik installation. I tried three different images in succession and they all worked fine. Have you tried a fresh installation?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I'm certainly seeing some oddities with the 30-day free trial of NIK 2.5 running on Catalina/Photo 1.8.1, similar setup to @ipb

Running HDR Efex Pro 2 has just crashed Photo a couple of times, and before that I was getting some horrible visual glitches:

Screenshot_2020-03-01_at_12_11_49.thumb.png.bf3b1b60fac801e5728e05b33c9d05bf.png

Followed by misaligned chunks of the image when committing the NIK edit (I can't replicate this at the moment, so no screen shots).

I'm also seeing display issues with the Viveza interface - unlabelled sliders, together with a washed-out image display not reflecting the plugin settings, the view in the Loupe or the results when committed. Viveza hasn't crashed on me (yet...) 

Hard to know if it's a problem with Photo or the NIK plugins, or both, or neither...

I think I'll scrub my 30-day trial and go back to the Google versions. I don't see any need to re-install.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

1 hour ago, h_d said:

I think I'll scrub my 30-day trial and go back to the Google versions. I don't see any need to re-install.

I wonder if the 2.5 trial is somehow using the Google version's plugin *.config files (should be in the same folder as the plugins themselves in the free Google version) & that is causing problems.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Followed the DXO install routine for Nik Collection and everything works fine my end.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Followed the DXO install routine for Nik Collection and everything works fine my end.

Prior to that did you have an older version of the collection installed on your computer?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello John, yes I used the Nik Collection uninstaller and then re-installed. All of the other plug-ins appear to be working ok, although I have not used the Nik Collection before, so would not necessarily  be aware of less obvious problems. In Affinity Photo preferences, all of the plug-ins are shown as "unknown" except for Color Efex Pro 4 and Analog Efex Pro 2 which are shown as "working", and yes I have ticked the box to allow unknown plugins to be used. I have never had the previous google free versions installed on my computer. 

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Prior to that did you have an older version of the collection installed on your computer?

Yes, I had 2.3.1 but I always uninstall the old version and then install the latest.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

wonder if the 2.5 trial is somehow using the Google version's plugin *.config files (should be in the same folder as the plugins themselves in the free Google version) & that is causing problems.

I wouldn't be surprised. I may have to move the older stuff off the computer entirely, because with a Plugin Support Path of / (as recommended) the new version is definitely going to find the old *.config files.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

• Staff

Hi everyone,

We have been testing the 2.5 DxO plugins this morning and have found a number of visual issues that we have already started taking screen recordings of. So far, we have found:

• A red box that appears when initially choosing a number of plugins (Catalina)
  • A smaller red box covering the loading dialog when loading a number of plugins (Catalian)
  • Artifacts when loading the HDR and sharpening plugins (on the initial low-render pass) and it seems to affect macOS and Windows

I will keep updating this list as new things are found. I haven't been able to reproduce the crash yet but I'm spending the day running more tests. 

If any of you running Mojave or older and see the red boxes, please let me know :) Thanks so much! 

• 9 months later...